Thread: Can you fix paint blemishes without paint?

Forum Member

Can you fix paint blemishes without paint?

I have a couple spots in the color coat that had runs, and when I sanded the run out, there are teeny bubbles in the finish. If they were under the pickguard, I'd just say, "to heck with it", but they will be visible. Can I get something that will re-melt the paint and let it flow back and fix itself? Blush remover maybe?

If not, I'll just have to wait until ReRanch opens again and order another can of Olympic White for two teeny spots.

Or could I take the guitar to a paint store, get some acrylic lacquer mixed up to match the ReRanch stuff, and spray it with a Preval? I know Acrylic Lacquers and Nitro Lacquers are compatible, so would this be an option? It would just be touch-up jobs and would be wet-sanded off except for the paint that plugs up the holes.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Forum Member

Re: Can you fix paint blemishes without paint?

Well, I decided to try something. I REALLY didn't want to wait (yet again) for ReRanch to open. I went to Pep-Boys and picked up a can of touch-up paint. "Classic White" is what its called. It's REALLY white. My guitar is REALLY white too. Hopefully the color is a good match. I'll compare the cap to the body when I get back to my house. It's just to plug a few pin-holes. The rest will be wet-sanded off. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the Nitro Lacquer and Acrylic Lacquer compatibility. Fezz used Acrylic Lacquer for his color coat and Nitro for the clear on the pink strat, so I'm thinking I should be OK.

Here goes nothing...

P.S. I've realized that it's not worth ordering from ReRanch for several reasons:

1) I realize it's a part-time business, but he's closed half of the time. I find that to be a pain in the butt.
    2) You'll spend about 4 times more on ReRanch than you will with Krylon/Deft, and you'll get the same results.
    3) Fender used Acrylic Lacquer color coats anyways...even when Leo ran the show
    4) There are a lot more color options out there
    5) You can still get the original Fender colors mixed up if you aren't satisfied with anything off the shelf. You can even find the old DuPont color codes on the internet (I did).

TFF Stage Crew

AFAIK DuPont has discontinued making even acrylic lacquers.

I would remelt the finish with some blush remover.

Forum Member

I tested the paint in the bridge pickup rout and it didn't match. So, I took a closer look against a light and the pin-holes didn't go through to the wood. So, I wet-sanded it out.

No harm, no foul.

Now you got _that_ sorted out, you gonna "relic" it?

-Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    Now you got _that_ sorted out, you gonna "relic" it?

-Mark
    Yup. I plan on taking my time though so I do it right. About 20 years of playing should give me time to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I would remelt the finish with some blush remover.
    seriously?
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

Well, I noticed another spot with bubbles that were once runs and sanded through in 3 spots (damn side of the guitar! ). And the Lacquer cracked on the side of the guitar at the neck pocket. I need to watch how much water I get around the screw holes. The rest of the guitar is IMPECCABLE! I'm excited about it!

Luckily ReRanch is open now, so I placed an order for one more can of Olympic White. I didn't want to pass the sand throughs and crack off as "reliced" because the rest of the guitar will be nice and shiny. As a result, I think the sand throughs would say "shitty paint job" more than "this guitar was reliced".

I'll just get my amp up and running while I'm waiting on the paint to arrive.