Thread: Strat nut problem?

Forum Member

Strat nut problem?

I find that even when my Strat is properly tuned and intonated, some open chords sound pretty bad. It seems to be a problem with notes fretted at the first few frets -- especially on the lower strings. Open E, open G, etc.

If I'm really careful and only press the strings down enough to fret them -- but not far enough to actually touch the fretboard -- then they're on pitch. But pressing them down to the fretboard brings them just sharp enough to be annoying.

Is this a problem with the nut, or the first few frets, or both? What can I do about it?

Re: Strat nut problem?

If they're to pitch when you press lightly it's not the nut.

Your pressing too hard for the gauge of string and fret height. You shouldn't be pressing down the strings far enough to touch the fretboard on any fretted instrument.

How high are your strings above the first fret, btw?

Forum Member

You shouldn't be pressing down the strings far enough to touch the fretboard on any fretted instrument.
    I've always pressed the strings to the fretboard. It's never required much force to do that, and it was never a problem with the three guitars I had before this Strat. (Granted, one was an LP Custom, but the other was a cheap Ibanez X Series, and the other was a very cheap Korean acoustic.)

All the strings are as low as they can get without buzzing, right now.

EDIT: After testing the above statement, I have to take it back. I just noticed I almost never press a string all the way to the fretboard. I guess I just assumed I did, but if I play a bit and then stop, I notice there's still some room to press the string down the rest of the way to the fretboard.

Maybe I press them all the way down when I bend them. Do people do that? How do maple fretboards get so thrashed from long use, if the strings aren't being pressed down against them?

Anyway...I guess the real problem is that, in the first few frets, pressing the strings down with the normal amount of pressure I use everywhere else on the fretboard results in the fretted strings being sharp. Any way to fix that other than a fret job, or completely relearning how to play guitar?
    Last edited by refriedwhiskey; 06-13-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Sounds like the nut could have height wrong, maybe a bit too high.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I was thinking that might be the case, since it only seems to be a problem at the first few frets. Is that something I can fix myself, or should I try to find a worthwhile guitar tech (i.e., not the guy who "installed" my pickups)?

Just measure the string height and tell us what it is.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Okay...low E string looks a touch over 1/16" off the fretboard at the nut. A little more than 1/32" off the first fret.

Try this - press each string down onto the fretboard at the third fret. This causes the string to form a straight line between the nut and second fretwire. Look at the string clearance over the first fretwire. It should just clear the fretwire with almost no gap, but not appear to touch the wire. (You need good eyes for this). If there is a noticeable gap, your slots are too high. See article for pictures:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...nutaction.html
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

I like my action fairly high at the first fret, .020 or so without the strings depressed.
    Anything over that is usually too high and will cause the guitar to play out of tune on the first few frets.

Forum Member

Based on these replies, I'd say at least some of my nut slots are too high. I guess the best thing to do is try to find a qualified guitar tech to cut the nut properly?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by refriedwhiskey View Post
    Based on these replies, I'd say at least some of my nut slots are too high. I guess the best thing to do is try to find a qualified guitar tech to cut the nut properly?
    That's your best bet. I have special nut files (from Stew-Mac), but I didn't attempt it until I had a cheaper guitar to work on. It's a very small difference between having it just right and going too low.

Forum Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Go too low, and you'd need a whole new nut....

Now the tricky bit: Finding a qualified tech around here.

Forum Member

becarefull, i always wind up going to low. You could set someting up under the nut at 5the first fret right under the nut, to guide you so you don't go to low. i think my book sugested feeler gages. if you go to low you can use toilet paper or graphite and some crazy glue, but you really don't want to go there. remember to keep the angle of the nut slot. You want the high spot to be on the end where the frets are and for it to get lower towards the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    Try this - press each string down onto the fretboard at the third fret. This causes the string to form a straight line between the nut and second fretwire. Look at the string clearance over the first fretwire. It should just clear the fretwire with almost no gap, but not appear to touch the wire. (You need good eyes for this). If there is a noticeable gap, your slots are too high. See article for pictures:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...nutaction.html
    Great article. Thanks for posting it.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Forum Member

Thanks for the info -- but I don't think this is something I'll be trying myself. I'm comfortable with setting intonation and string height myself, and with basic soldering and non-visible body cavity mods, but that's where I draw the line.

I know I can't take it to the place that made such a hash of (attempting to) install my new pickups, but there's another guitar place here in town that might work out. Or there's an authorized Fender Service guy about 50 minutes from here.

Agreed. On my Epiphone LP, I just carefully sanded down the bottom of the nut until the string heights were good. Since it was a cheap plastic nut with molded in slots, I didn't worry too much.

But a strat nut is not flat on the bottom. So you have to cut the slots. I have never done that, mostly because I'm too cheap to invest in a good set of nut files.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett