Thread: Fret question

Forum Member

Fret question

I've had my eye on a Highway 1 HSS strat for a bit, and finally decided to go for it. The local store had one in a box vs. the display, so I grabbed that. It was perfect, with the exception that three of the fret recesses were a little deeper than the fret, leaving a little tiny space. The fret wire seemed straight and it plays fine. I checked a few other strats, and random ones seemed to have similar issues, even higher end ones. The salesguy told me it could simply be from the neck shifting after it was put together.

Bottom line, should I worry, or is it simply a cosmetic issue?

Also, I hope it stays in tune a bit better once I get my 10's on it - I couldn't keep it tuned for more than a minute, but it did just come out of the box, and a setup will be in order i am sure. Most of the strats in the store were hard to keep in tune.

Re: Fret question

Are you talking about the depth of the slot in the neck for the fret tang?

If so, it doesn't matter. They're better off too deep than too shallow.

My MIM Deluxe series is the same way. As long as the frets are seated flush with the fingerboard, and dressed properly, there shouldn't be any issues.

New strings will probably help the intonation. The string nut is integral there, too. I bet it's the old strings though.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Are you talking about the depth of the slot in the neck for the fret tang?

If so, it doesn't matter. They're better off too deep than too shallow.
    That's it yes. Actually, the more I look, it almost seems like each fret has that, but they filled it in with something, and maybe missed those. As long as it won't affect anything, I won't fret. (ouch)

I am sure one I get my first ding, this will be nothing. New, and all.

WideAwake, get some sleep and fret not.
    Because wood has different densities, then saw blades on the machine that cuts fret slots wear at different rates. All blades are replaced periodically, but it is impossible and impractical to replace each blade as it wears.
    Slots that are hand cut will be inconsistent anyway .

"Shut up and play yer guitar" Frank Zappa
    Then Play On

Forum Member

Thanks guys, I won't worry about it. I am so happy with the sounds I am getting, I'd rather be having fun and playing!