Thread: The Waylon Jennings guitar sound - What pedal

The Waylon Jennings guitar sound - What pedal

I know I'm probably treading in "metal/shredder" waters here but I have a question for a country guitarist and band....does anybody know what pedal was used to get the Waylon Jennings guitar sound on songs like "Just a Good Old Boy" and "Luckenback, TX"?? I think it's just an old Boss Phase Shifter but it kind of has an auto-wah sound also. I've tried an auto-wah and it's not the trick....

Thanks

Re: The Waylon Jennings guitar sound - What pedal

I was told it was an early (script logo) MXR Phase 45 or 90 (1970's version but I don't know if it was modded in any way).
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

I get pretty close with my 70s Small Stone.

I think he used the MXR.

Thanks for the info, friends....
    I just ordered an MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90 (supposed to be like the '70's versions) and I went ahead and ordered an Electro-Harmonix USA-made Small Stone phaser....I'll play them side by side and see which one I like more....and send the lesser one back.
    I think one will give me the Waylon vibe I'm after....(not to mention that slick Dark Side of the Moon - David Gilmour playing "Us and Them" sound)

thanks again!!

try it w/ an mxr dynacomp in the chain too. that, with the proper hybrid picking, technique should get you there.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I used to get there with some light compression and an old EH Bad Stone phase shifter.

I'm looking for that sound too. Right now, I'm using the $15 Dano pedal that works pretty well, but is a bit overwhelming. I plan on upgrading to the BYOC version of the MXR. It has both speed and depth controls, unlike the MXR and Dano which just have speed. I think that would be nice to make the effect more subtle.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

just got the EH Small Stone Phase Shifter pedal and tried it out in my DRRI....that thing is sweet.....very pure, organic-sounding phase shifting, just like on the old country recordings and on Dark Side of the Moon. I'll report back on the MXR custom shop "script" phase 90 once it arrives......

I just ordered the BYOC MXR clone. It was $125 built and shipped. I'm really looking forward to that one and I'll report when it arrives!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain View Post
    I was told it was an early (script logo) MXR Phase 45 or 90 (1970's version but I don't know if it was modded in any way).
    I asked the same question a while back and tdurik (whom I haven't seen around here in a while...) posted this...

I did a web search someone said Waylon used a t.c.electronics chorus/phaser...

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    I asked the same question a while back and tdurik (whom I haven't seen around here in a while...) posted this...

I did a web search someone said Waylon used a t.c.electronics chorus/phaser...
    Hmmm, that may be true in later years but how long has t.c. electronics been around? Waylon was using this effect back in the early 70's and I thought 35-37 years ago the MXR was "it" when you wanted a phaser effect.

I dunno, just sayin'... I thought TC was a newer company as well, and I'm betting you may be right. That post wasn't meant to be critical, just provide more information. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say he was probably playing through a Peavey Classic back then. Peavey didn't use vibrato on their amps (probably made it too close to a Twin Reverb for the lawyers), but they did have phasing. Since almost all of the country guys were playing through Peaveys back then, I'd guess he was using their phasing. Better informed experts should probably weigh over my reckless speculation now...

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    I dunno, just sayin'... I thought TC was a newer company as well, and I'm betting you may be right. That post wasn't meant to be critical, just provide more information. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say he was probably playing through a Peavey Classic back then. Peavey didn't use vibrato on their amps (probably made it too close to a Twin Reverb for the lawyers), but they did have phasing. Since almost all of the country guys were playing through Peaveys back then, I'd guess he was using their phasing. Better informed experts should probably weigh over my reckless speculation now...
    Good idea about the Peaveys. I think maybe Gary Rossington of Skynyrd used the Peavey Phaser on the solo of Call Me The Breeze. And yep, Nashville loved Peavey (still do for pedal steel players, etc.) so that's a good guess. Now I'm curious as well as to what it really was that Waylon used.

Just found a Waylon interview from Vintage Guitar magazine...he said he used a Boss Phase Shifter http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=81

"And your amp at the time you started using that guitar?
    When I got this guitar, I got a Super Reverb that had a 15" Living Lansing (speaker) in it. I’ve got that somewhere! Somebody that works with me got it. I’m going to find it.

"In your new book, one of the great things you’ve done is mention the equipment you used, by brand, like the Boss Phase Shifter.

"The way I’ve gotten my sound out of a guitar, you almost have to know what it was. Because I got on that Boss Phase Shifter, as I was telling in there, from (producer) Glynn Johns. We did a thing called White Mansions with Jerry Moss, for A&M Records way back there. We were a part of it with several other people – Eric Clapton, Jessi, my wife, and he (Johns) showed me that phase shifter. So that was my new “play pretty” for a long time. It was the beginning of a real thing. Reggie (Young) and a bunch of them took it and went farther with it. I never did go much farther."

Good find! Thanks!

Reporting back on the "taste test" comparing the EH Small Stone (USA-made version) and the MXR custom shop script Phase 90:
    The Small Stone wins, it sounds more natural, more smooth. The Phase 90 gives off some hum while the small stone is really quiet. I think I'm shipping the Phase 90 back to Musician's Friend and the small stone is a definite keeper.....