Thread: Let's talk compound radius

Forum Member

Let's talk compound radius

I'm just watching out for a new neck for my Strat. Don'T know if I should go for the soft V from the JV everyones raving about or maybe a normal back contour with a compund raduis... so who of use uses these necks and really sees advantages in it? or are there any major disadvantages with these necks?
    I like beefy necks so maybe I should go for a V anyways... but still - let me know!

Re: Let's talk compound radius

The only compound radius fretboard I have is on my LP Elegant. I must admit it doesn't really feel any different to any other LP I've owned or played. Perhaps because it goes from an already pretty large radius at the nut to an even larger radius at the bottom... you can see that it's flatter down there, but, past a certain point, flat is effectively flat. I think a compound radius would probably be more noticeable on a small radius (classic Fender) fretboard.

-Mark

Gravity Jim

My Strat has a Warmoth 10-16" "CLapton" V compound radius neck with tall frets. It is my favorite neck of all time (YMMMV, of course).

Whne I initially switched from a standard Fender 9.5" radius, the first thing I noticed was that I played much cleaner in the upper registers, and the entire neck overall felt "easier:" (I hate describing things in vauge terms, but that's just how I recall it it). You're not really aware of it in use: the guitar just feels good.

There are no disadvantages that I am aware of: set up is easy (ou just set the saddle curve to match the flatter end of the neck), and the guitar can be set up for very low action (works great for me, as I play with a light touch).

When I assembled my USACG T-Style I went with a straight 9.5" fretboard radius because I was doing all the work myself and I was unsure about dressing frets on a compound radius board.

It turned out to not be an issue as the frets did not need dressing at all.

I like soft V necks so I went with that.

Keep in mind that V shaped necks feel thinner than rounded necks of the same thickness, that is, a .965" think V shaped neck feels thinner than a .965" thck C, D, U, etc... shaped neck because the diagonal cross section is thinner.

Although I've been playing and prefering guitars with soft V shaped necks since 1979, it took Tommy at USACG telling me this to understand it.

There is also less mass in an equally thick V shaped neck.

V shaped necks are for thumb hangers like me.

Forum Member

I have several guitars with compound radius necks...some with V profiles and some without. Of these, my favorite neck is the USACG compound radius. It starts tight at 7.5 and goes to 9.5 or 10 (if I'm not mistaken) which suits my playing style (chords w/lead fills). I'm really not a huge fan of flat radius necks.

Forum Member

Hi fellows- What is "USACG"? I like th idea of a compound radius neck, although I have never tried one. Do you think Fender would every release a neck like that? What brand of neck are some of the "best" compound radius necks that fit a fender strat? How do you like Warmoth's in general?

USACG = USA Custom Guitars.

A neck/body place started by one or more former Warmoth employees. I've never used them, but a lot of follks say they're better than Warmoth.

Fender will make one eventually, if they don't already. Gotta have strat variation #397, you know.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I wish I knew what the shape of the neck was on my ES 335. It's friggin' perfect, it's like it was made for my hand. Nice flat fretboard too, which for me makes it easy to play leads on.

My Squier Strat has this little pencil thin neck which is fun to play sometimes, but can be difficult for some passages. I also have no idea what the radius is.

The Strat I just bought has a pretty fat neck, I don't know what shape or radius that is either. I'm getting used to that one, but I'd prefer it if they all had necks exactly like the Gibson.

Anybody know how to measure for radius? Is there a # on the end of the neck somewhere that denotes this? Also, how do you know what shape the neck is aside from reading a spec sheet?

Ok, sorry for the post hijack cross, I just have a quick question:

I looked up my guitar on the Fender Japan website, the neck is listed as being "Maple Oval Type" and for the fretboard it just says, "184R and 21F".

Anyone know what those numbers mean?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just fingered it out:

21F= 21 frets (duh)
    184R= 184mm radius, converted to inches=7.25" radius

See how much you can learn just by talking to yourself?

[/thread hijack]

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    Anybody know how to measure for radius?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...s.html#details

There are FREE gauges in the back of Dan Erlewine setup book.
    Also, if you look at the phtot, radius guages are easy to make.
    I might have one I could email to you, if you like. Just print it on some decent card stock.

You could make a decent impression of you preferred neck profile with one of these.
    http://www.mannyswoodworkersplace.com/6160066.html
    It could come in handy if you wanted to have a Strat neck made that felt more like your 335.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Thanks for the links, Neo. That radius gauge does look pretty easy to make--just a quick swipe with the compass on each side of a 5"x 5" card should do it. I have a compass, what I don't have is a printer!

That contour gauge definitely has my wheels turning though, where can I get a custom neck made? Does USACG or Warmoth do that? Probably very pricey...