Thread: 65 twin reissue

Forum Member

65 twin reissue

Hey guys whats up. Just picked up a 65 twin reverb, and after having it on for about 3 hrs the other night I noticed that the back of the amp is warm to touch. Then when I went to turn it off the OFF SWITCH if also warm to touch. I've got a HRD and haven't noticed this before. Is this normal ? I do love the sound of the amp. Thanks

Re: 65 twin reissue

just warm is fine. the face plate on mine would get hot enough to light a cigar! i always use a fan behind my amps now!

85 watts of tube power is going to get warm, very warm. Even if you don't crank the amp up.

My twin and super reverb get very warm, i expressed my concern to a very knowlegable fender tech and sales rep on two different occasions, they assured me that it is totally normal. However, i started using a small fan several years ago, and it does move the heat out and the amp is much cooler now. I used a gibson amp for about 45 years, it got hot, never used a fan, never biased, just went to the drug store, checked the tubes, pickedup a replacement or two now and then, played in bands 2 to 3 nights a week for about 30 years with this amp, and i still use the amp, and it still sounds great. So the fender people are probably correct but i feel better with a small fan, and haven't had any problems, some would say the amp would sound better if you let it heat up more, maybe so, but i think i will still keep using my fan. My boogie and budda have fans built into the amp.

peace

Forum Member

An electric fan by a valve amp and guitar with single coils? This would be noise suicide surely? Hum from the fllourescent strips can be bad enough without having an electric motor whirring away right next to the amp?

LoveBandit

Quote Originally Posted by TooTone View Post
    An electric fan by a valve amp and guitar with single coils? This would be noise suicide surely? Hum from the fllourescent strips can be bad enough without having an electric motor whirring away right next to the amp?

I run my Peavey Classic 30 with my MIM 72 Custom Tele (bridge single coil) and use a battery (2 AA's) powered "flexi-fan" clipped to the back to cool it. The foam blades (which are very quiet) on the fan make more noise than the electric motor does through my amp circuitry. Maybe battery fans make less electric "noise" ? LB

In a live setting all is lost in the mix, for jazz gigs, i am normally using somthing with a humbucker, but have never noticed a problem, i am normally using a pretty good power strip and normally try to plug the fan into another outlet (hopefully on on another circuit), the only noise i hear is when the fan is first turned on (if on the same circuit). in the studio a fan may be noticed, if so i go without it.

peace

Forum Member

My Super Reverb was used by a guy that played a LOT. I'm sure some of the clubs it was in weren't air conditioned. I dont think it's a problem except it has needed a couple of cap jobs. I noticed my Bassman RI sounded better when it got warmed up. On some amps that have 4 6L6s mounted close together a fan might help.

i have never had any extra noise from using a fan with single coils. my American Strat or my American deluxe SCN PKUPS...