Thread: LDC recommendations

LDC recommendations

What's a good "bang-for-buck" LDC that is versatile, reasonable quality and is not too expensive? Maybe pick one up on eBay...

-Mark

Re: LDC recommendations

Is LDC Large Diaphragm Condenser? If so, you're sitting right on one - the Rode company in Australia makes a very good budget priced LDC (and some others, too) - the Rode NT-1. I have two of them and they are excellent for vocals, OH drumapplications and all kinds of other things.

Like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rode-NT1-cond...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by sliding-tom; 03-01-2007 at 02:15 AM.

I picked up a combo pack from Audio Technica last year (the AT 2041?) that has the AT 2020 LDC and the AT 2021 sdc for, stateside, about $150. The two together record my acoustics very well, and I'm happy for "short" money.... at the time as I recall, Gravity Jim was singing the praises of the AT 3030 and one of the moderate [edit: oops, SHURE] models (I think). Should be another thread around here somewhere....
    Last edited by clayville; 03-01-2007 at 07:35 AM.

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

I got an AT3035 based on advice from Fezz, Gravity Jim and others, and while my voice still sounds like crap, at least it's now high clarity crap
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Gravity Jim

I do like that 3035. My AT 4033 was the first mic I bought, and I still use it once a week... jusy yesterday, in fact, Great on vocal (especially male rock vocals), guitar cabs, VOs, and without a doubt the best sounding woodwind tracks (sax, clarinet, etc) ever.

I also enjoy the extreme versatility of my Shure KSM32, and while I don't own one, I am told the budget priced KSM27 is a terrific mic for the money.

GC had a stupid deal on a pair of MXL mics on Prez's Day.
    One large, one small, for like $69.99.

Are those things any good?

At that price I was tempted.
    But I didn't have a chance to consult you guys, and I didn't have a definitive way to see if I'd really like them within 30 days.

Plus, I figger I should get a hard drive for my PC first.
    Can't really record without that.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello