Thread: "Chaining" amps together"

LoveBandit

"Chaining" amps together"

Let's say I owned two Fender DRRI's and I wanted to "chain" them together. How exactly would I do that? Thanks. LB

Forum Member

Re: "Chaining" amps together"

Get some good chain at the hardware store that will fit under your handles ........oops wrong chain. Plug yer fiddle into input #1 of your preferred channel on amp #1 then from input #2 of the channel your are plugged into patch a cable to the desired channel of amp #2 set your desired EQ's and away we go!

LoveBandit

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL8 View Post
    Get some good chain at the hardware store that will fit under your handles ........oops wrong chain. Plug yer fiddle into input #1 of your preferred channel on amp #1 then from input #2 of the channel your are plugged into patch a cable to the desired channel of amp #2 set your desired EQ's and away we go!
    Hmmmmm, thanks. So "Amp 1" will be the amp that sets the sound and amp will serve as a "slave" using it's power to reproduce the sound of "amp 1" - right? OR.....will "amp 2's" controls (like reverb, treble, etc.) color the final sound also in combination with "amp 1's"?

How does "amp 1's" second input magically become an output for "amp 2"? I don't get it?? Thanks LB.

No, each amp will set it's own EQ.

Input 1 and input 2 of the same channel are connected.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

It doesn't become an output - input#2 is wired in parallel to input#1, so the guitar's signal goes to amp#2 also. With two DRRIs or similar amps (channel 1 w/o, channel 2 w rev/vib) make sure you chain the same channels or they'll be out of phase with each other due to the fact that there's one more gain stage in the reverb channel.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    No, they won't be out of phase since the signal is spilt off to the other amp before it reaches a phase inverter. You're thinking about jumpering to the same amp from the normal channel to the vibrato/reverb channel.
    You are right, Sir and I'm a dumbass! (think before you speak out!)

LoveBandit

No.....**I** am the newbie dumbass. And to prove it, I will ask one more dumb question: If I want to use my DRRI and get it's signal (or sound) to go through my SWR California Blonde II Acoustic amp (160w SS w/ 8 ohm 12" speaker) for more decibels, how would I do that? I DON'T want the SWR to change or color the sound any, just boost the db's. It is fine if the DRRI's speaker is pumping out too of course....

FYI DATA: The SWR has 2 effects loops (each w/ send and return) on the rear panel and "Instrument in", "aux. in" and "stereo in" 1/4" jacks in the front.

IMPORTANT: The SWR also has a visible speaker cord coming out the back from the woofer plugging into an int. speaker jack on the back panel.....Should I just unplug the SWR speaker and run a 1/4" cord and plug my DRRI's ext. speaker jack into the SWR's woofer? But that would not be utilizing the SWR's power amp at all - right? This is all pretty confusing for me.

PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT in a firm but polite manner. Thanks, LB
    Last edited by LoveBandit; 02-25-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Forum Member

By going from input to input on two amps it will be as Kapn said you set the EQ on both amps to taste. You can run the ext speaker output on the DR to the speaker of your SW make sure it is a Speaker cable NOT a guitar cable and the ohm rating is correct on the SW speaker for the DR's output. Now you have the voice of the DR coming from the SW speaker.

I think those are your only two options, you dont want to pump the output of you DR into the input/aux/effect loop of another amp as I do believe you will cook something.

Oh one last option get a pedal that has stereo outputs and plug into both amps that way but each amp will still have its own voice/EQ.

LoveBandit

OK..... thanks to you all I think I am getting this.

So if I want to utilize my SWR's 160 watts of power, the only way to do it is to plug my axe into DRRI's input#1 and "chain" with a guitar cord from my DRRI's output #2 to the SWR's input and try to set the SWR's controls to be as "transparent" as possible and sound will come out of both amps simultaneously and be controllable by the volume knobs on both amps - correct?

OR......If I just want to use my SWR's 8-ohm speaker as an extension speaker, I should patch from the DRRI's rear "Ext. speaker" line out to the SWR's exposed speaker cord/plug (that has been unplugged from the SWR amp) with a speaker cable only, NOT a guitar cord. With this 2nd method, will both speakers put out together or just the SWR's? Thanks again. LB

Forum Member

You will get output from both in method 2. Asl on method one once you have your general EQ on both amps you can then control both amps with your guitars volume and or volume pedal.

I have a stereo chorus and when I plug my DR and PR in it really sounds huge. Either way you will be moving more air so you will definately sound bigger!

LoveBandit

The SWR is known as one of the most transparent acoustic amps on the planet and it has a full 0-100 percent tweeter attenuator so when it is "chained" it may serve as a perfect 160 watt "powered" external speaker without altering the DRRI's tone much at all. I'm psyched! LB

I'd suggest another approach. If you want the true sound of the DRRI and then to amplify it using the transparent, clean power of the SWR you might try taking a Red Box and plugging it between the DRRI's output and speaker, and then plugging the padded-down sound of the Red box into the front of the SWR.

Or, for a more low-tech approach, throw a mic in front of (and facing off axis, or away from, the SWR) and then plug the mic into the SWR, using it, in effect, as a mini-PA.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

That redbox is about $120. I think you could do the same thing with 3 jacks, a project box and a 100ohm resistor.

input from OT
    two prallel outs, one to the speaker out and one to the aux out (via 100ohm resistor).

Is the resistor going to pad the thing back down from speaker level to instrument (or at least line) level?

The resistor goes to the aux out to pad it down do a line level. A pot (in series with the resistor) would also allow a little control.

A 100 ohm resistor in parallel with 8ohms changes the impedence to roughly 7.4ohms (simple approximation assuming constant resistance of speaker - which it is not).

I have not done this, I've just seen it in my Laney amp. I might give it a try with one of my home brew amps.

LoveBandit

I have a Bad Monkey pedal coming in the mail.....would that help in the DRRI-SWR "loop" somewhere? LB

I use the george lynch tripler,1. fender pro twin 2.marshall JTM45 w/ a 4X12 3.marshall DSL 50 w/ A 4X12. It sound's really good,but you have to watch out for ground loop's.

Quote Originally Posted by 58reissue View Post
    I use the george lynch tripler,1. fender pro twin 2.marshall JTM45 w/ a 4X12 3.marshall DSL 50 w/ A 4X12. It sound's really good,but you have to watch out for ground loop's.
    Omigosh! Are you playing sports arenas?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Omigosh! Are you playing sports arenas?
    His IP address reads out of Michigan, which explains why I can hear him playing here in central Ohio.

Know just small park's & backyard block parties. I don't crank them that loud all the time,but when I do I have a ball! I mainly use my 1974x handwired marshall with ext. cab & the fender pro tube with the 1/4 switch on for lower volume stuff. This combo Is really nice,a little bit clean & a little bit dirty.

Oh the tone

Hey pc I see your a fulltone fan also. I have the o.c.d. also great pedal's! Plus I have the deja vibe,robin trower all over the place!
    Oh the tone