Thread: Hot Rod Deluxe looking for Killer Texas Blues Settings

Hot Rod Deluxe looking for Killer Texas Blues Settings

Anyone have any FAVORITE settings for a Hot Rod Deluxe for that Killer Texas Blues tone?
    Just put in some JJ's High Gain Option got the Bias set Weber C12N Speaker

Thanks

Bryan

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe looking for Killer Texas Blues Settings

Set it outside in the garage, and go get a Vibroverb or Dumble.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I think you'd have more luck with how you approach the guitar with your hands. Heavier strings, pickup selection, and maybe speaker choice will help more than the stock amp can.

Before my HRD got euthanized, I had put Sprague OD caps in the tone stack and PI which helped some.

Honestly, after I started playing my 5F1 through my empty HRD cab I noticed a significant change in the dynamics of my guitar's sound, and I found I could get a lot of different sounds with just my hands and guitar controls.

Yeah...it's got just got the one knob. Keeps me from getting confused.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Set it outside in the garage, and go get a Vibroverb or Dumble.
    Yes, but which Vibroverb: '63 2-10 reissue, or the '64 1x15 Custom shop jobber that is more like what Stevie played? How far you want to chase that dragon?

Remember, too, that many Texas Blues guitarists use 2 or 3 dissimilar amps to get their sound. SRV used a pair of VV's, sometimes a pair of Super Reverbs, sometimes a pair of Marshalls. For the recording of In Step, he had a room full of amps, all blazing away, and mic'ed, and then the best signals were mixed together to create his tone. Who knows what was recorded with what.

I remember an article by Gerald Weber in Vintage Guitar magazine that opined that Texas Tone Del Maximo (his words) was created with at least a Fender and a Marshall running together in parallel with perhaps a 3rd amp, like a tweed Fender, added - all of the amps filling in different colors to create the whole. So, who can really say what Texas Tone is - is it T-Bone? Is it JLV? or SRV? Is it the Rev. Billy G.? He sounds totally different on different songs...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    So, who can really say what Texas Tone is - is it T-Bone? Is it JLV? or SRV? Is it the Rev. Billy G.? ...
    Johnny Copeland? Gatemouth Brown? Joe "Guitar" Hughes? Blind Lemon Jefferson? Freddy King? LeadBelly Ledbetter?

From Wiki:
    "Texas Blues is a subgenre of the blues. It has had various style variations but typically has been played with more swing than other blues styles.

Texas blues differs from styles such as Chicago blues in use of instruments and sounds, especially the heavy use of the guitar. Musicians such as Stevie Ray Vaughan contributed by using various types of guitar sounds like southern slide guitar and different melodies of blues and jazz. Texas blues also relies on guitar solos or "licks" as bridges in songs."

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Well said, Grasshopper. The player makes the sound.
    Dang! And I was just about to ask you where I can get me one of them SRV pedals!

In all fairness, Blues59, I think your bein' in the South ought to give you insight to what you're searching for. I will say, that the Texas Blues sound you may be referring to has a bit of honk to it. Thus, a british voiced speaker would get you closer, IMO. The HRDs like the Celestion V30, for example.
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 02-27-2007 at 08:11 AM.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Secret to good Tejas Blues tone - IMVHO - is a good tube rectifier amp played much more cleanly than you think it should be.

Back in my Texas days, common wisdom was to play the leads clean and use the dirt box for rythym - something I still do. That was the technique to get the gritty stompin' groove which reached it's pinnacle with the Rev (again IMHO). Since everybody knows that SRV used a TS9 in his chain, people assume it was used only for leads. More often lately, I hear stuff played with clean rythym and dirty leads and it just sounds - wrong. Empty and inverted.

Honestly, the best way to get the Texas Blues sounds is to use your ears first, hands second.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

What Texas sound? T.D. Bell? Hop Wilson? Long John Hunter? Mel Brown? Roy Gaines? This is a meaningless phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Since everybody knows that SRV used a TS9 in his chain, people assume it was used only for leads. More often lately, I hear stuff played with clean rythym and dirty leads and it just sounds - wrong. Empty and inverted.
    I remember reading that Stevie felt he got a better clean tone with the TS on and the guitar volume turned down. His lead tone didn't normally sound too grainy or fuzzy, just louder. IMO, Chuck's lead tone is like this - not so much Rat or whatever he's got to stomp on - more cutting and present than that...however, his playing has more Bakersfield in it and is perhaps a bit more harmonically adventurous than straight blues.

Of course, I'm sorta the polar opposite of him, so I get my clean from my Vox amp and get my dirt from boxes. Two different approaches - but I'm coming in from a totally different direction - more country-fried, I guess, and I try to add some Setzer - but for some reason my misspent '80's youth informs my playing, too - sometimes I hear a bit too much Neil Schon and Michelob-era Clapton in my playing...

Then there's Swanky - he's a jazz/classical cat if there ever was one...3 totally different guitar styles in one band...

Back on topic...OSA's the master of the biting, bridge pickup, telecaster twang...and his sound comes from a variety of factors - the amp, the guitar, his hands, and ... <drumroll please>...

His guitar's VOLUME KNOB. That's another key to good tone - not just in Tejas, but everywhere...

/Ramble...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    When I see someone use the phrase "Texas Sound" nowadays, 99% of the time it's SRV they're talking about. Gimme T-Bone Walker.

This is my version of the "Texas Sound", and it's got a real Texan, doc540, on the bass:
    Too many horns for the Texas thing. ;)

That's a great shuffle, though. Props to Doc!

-Edmund Burke

Just Curious, why go high gain for blues? I use JJ's too. Blues option #1 from Bob at Eurotubes. I was trying to dump some gain and get a more natural distortion. It works out great for me. The settings depend on what guitar I'm using. My Strat is a lot different than my Artcore with Buckers or my Supro or my Dano for that matter. Fezz, thanks again for the wiring suggestion. It still sounds great. Oh yeah Bryan, most of these guy's really despise the Hot Rod Series. Personally I really like a Silvertone 1484 Twin 12. I get to borrow one from time to time. A 5e3 or any Tweed will give you a serious blues tone. For the SRV thing though get a TS9.

Who's this TJ feller yer talkin' to? ;)

All I get from that link is the following text:
    mms://sg5.allmusic.com/018wma_28/s102/s10225/s1022594/s102259404m96d6.wma

I'm sure it still has too many horns, though.

-Edmund Burke

Must be that I'm using Vista...it's no bueno. Let me try my Mac...nope.

I bet there's too many horns in it on the Mac, too.

-Edmund Burke

TFF Stage Crew

Link works for me on my work Wintel machine. Did indeed launch WMP when I clicked. Sounds great.

Horns is the bomb.

Listened to it through iTunes...stupid Vista WMP Codecs

Oh yeah, too many horns; but it's okay, it's a Jazz piece, not Texas Blues.

P.S. - I was a trumpet player for a dozen years...horns are a good thing.

-Edmund Burke

Ok so the High Gain Option from JJ's uh......

I dont like the High Gain option way too much HISS for me....I guess I could go back to the standard E83 in the V3 slot to tone it down?

Thanks

Bryan

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Now that's what I call high gain.