Thread: Zoom PS-04 vs Boss Micro BR

Zoom PS-04 vs Boss Micro BR

I went into Leeds today to pick up a Boss Micro BR from the big ol' guitar store there.

"Hay guys, d'you have the Boss Micro BR in stock?"
    "Nope, they postponed the release date to next month"

Bugger.

Anyway, the dude behind the counter told me that Korg released a recorder called the PS-04. Another of them said that the Micro BR was as small as an iPod, and the dude said "ahh right" and stopped. I'd got into Leeds pretty late and didn't have time to stop around, so I said cheers for the help and went to buy comics

I've just been looking at the PS-04 online, and it doesn't look too big. Part of my brain is reminded of the original Game Boy. The Boss Micro BR reviews are mainly good, but the possibility of a better system (and the Game Boy nostalgia factor ) makes me curious. I guess both these systems have already been released in the US and some other places, so has anyone had the chance to try them out?

(edit) Oops, I'm an idiot. After looking around on Harmony Central, I've realised the guy said it was Korg, not Zoom. I meant the Korg D4. Still, I guess the original question still stands, with just a small addition.

So then...Zoom PS-04 vs Boss Micro BR vs Korg D4?
    Last edited by Power_13; 12-30-2006 at 09:09 PM.
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Forum Member

Re: Zoom PS-04 vs Boss Micro BR

I have the PS-04 (ZOOM), it's OK I guess. You really have to refer back to the manual constantly to remember how to get through the different functions.

Bouncing recordings to other formats is quite time consuming and requires a bunch of different steps. First with the 32MB SM card included, you can only get about 1 3-4 minute song recorded. So there's about 50 USD for a 64MB card.

Then you need a media card reader (25 USD) to get the sound out of the recorder into your computer. The conversion software, thankfully, is free from the Zoom website.

But here's the thing that really burns my toast...I can't figure out how to get the built-in drum tracks converted into WAV files!!! It's been pissing me off for the last couple of days.

Hope this does you some good and isn't too late.

Cheers...no, it's not too late. It looks like it's gonna be the Micro BR for me. The release date is late this month, so I still have time to look around. Cheers again :)

Well, I bought one. A Micro BR and the power adapter (I heard it eats batteries like there's no tomorrow, and the adapter isn't sold with it). I also took the opportunity to try out a MIM Esquire that's going for a pretty sweet price :)

I've yet to use it for much recording (damn college keeping me busy), but it seems pretty cool. I'll post something a bit more in-depth later :)