Thread: New "practice" amp! (tubes!!!)

New "practice" amp! (tubes!!!)

This thing sounds SWEET! Especially with my tube based distortion pedals. (the Rocktron Silver Dragon, and the EHX English Muff'n)

Re: New "practice" amp! (tubes!!!)

Anyone used one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    Anyone used one of these?

I have the Valve Jr Head. I wish it was 15w instead of 5. Otherwise I love it.

I was interested in the Valve Standard, but DSP turns me off.

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    I have the Valve Jr Head. I wish it was 15w instead of 5. Otherwise I love it.

I was interested in the Valve Standard, but DSP turns me off.
    Can't you bypass the dsp?

I've got a Deville when I want it loud. This is a good jam amp, and at home practice amp. It sounds really good with the pedal board and that speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    Can't you bypass the dsp?

I've got a Deville when I want it loud. This is a good jam amp, and at home practice amp. It sounds really good with the pedal board and that speaker.

I think you can bypass the dsp on the Standard. Actually, i have a Valve Standard on backorder from MF. I have been considering canceling the order though.

I have to ask, why didn't you get the Valve Jr head?

My recollection is that the Valve Jr combo had a few design flaws. Web pages cropped up showing how mod the flaws out. Epiphone responded by releasing the head version which, included many of the posted fixes.

If yours is a newer combo, it may be a new revision as well.

I played the head through a 4x12. I thought it was great. The band said it wasn't loud enough. I still play it at home, but through a 1x12.

Yeah, there's a newer revision of the combo that's *significantly* less noisy than the original. Changes made to the filament wiring and so on if I recall correctly.
    Whatever, it's certainly much, much quieter and, therefore, a much better amp.

Tommy.

I have the head and the combo....the latter is getting modded for the noise,but both sound good.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    I think you can bypass the dsp on the Standard. Actually, i have a Valve Standard on backorder from MF. I have been considering canceling the order though.

I have to ask, why didn't you get the Valve Jr head?

My recollection is that the Valve Jr combo had a few design flaws. Web pages cropped up showing how mod the flaws out. Epiphone responded by releasing the head version which, included many of the posted fixes.

If yours is a newer combo, it may be a new revision as well.

I played the head through a 4x12. I thought it was great. The band said it wasn't loud enough. I still play it at home, but through a 1x12.
    This is the second version of the combo. It has the DC filament circuit already, which is cool. I bought it off of a friend, so that is why I have the combo. The other thing is, the output transformer has an 8 ohm tap that is being unused. I'll probably hook that up. I wonder why they went with the 4 ohm tap on here... But, this'll give me two outputs.

The feb 07 Vintage Guitar mag. has a great article about the combo/head...mostly I believe the combo.

It discusses the Mercury Magnetics upgrades/version.......Great reviews.

I have the head and immediately upgraded the tubes. I had it about 2 months maybe 3 and JUST got to hear it through a 2-12 cab last weekend for the first time......

WOW.....

We played an older 345, 3-4 strats, and 2 PRS's through it......all performed great. I put a Jekyll and hyde in front to act as a boos and ran volume about noon, and OD about ....barely on......used it as volume....

Folllowed by a BBE Sonic Stomp -

And WOW!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I just upgraded this little beast a bit. I dropped the input resistance to about 34k, but upped the ground reference resistor to 1M. It's got more brightness, and a bit more oomph. I also added an 8 ohm output jeck using the second tap of the OT. I may do some other little things later, but this amp is near perfect now. Like I said, this one is the second version, that already has DC filaments and insulated jacks for no ground loops, and this thing has no buzz or hum to speak of. (Of course, with so few gain stages, that's not so hard)