Thread: Setup needed?

Forum Member

Setup needed?

I made the swtich from 10's to 11's awhile back and had my guitar professionally set up for 11's (tuned down 1/2 step).

But lately i've found that I can't play as fast or as smoothly as I'd like (I can play very very quickly on my tele setup with 9's)

So my decision is to change back to 10's, this time in standard tuning.

My question is "will i need a total guitar setup (neck adjustment, tremelo springs being taken off [i currently have all 5], intonation, the works) or will I be ok???"

Thanks for the help

Re: Setup needed?

Do you run the trem floating or locked down?
    If it's floating, you may need to make an adjustment there.
    For the rest of it, I'd play it by ear. The 11's normally have higher tension than 10, though I can usually make a .001 change without needing to setup, except maybe an intonation adjustment. That you set the 11 1/2 step down, and plan to go standard tuning with the 10s, the difference is even less. You probably won't need to do the neck, you probably will need to look at intonation, the sproings are a maybe.
    Sorry thta I can't ssay for sure, but without having the guitar in hand, it's near impossible to say.

Forum Member

Its floating.

What kind of adjustment are you referring to?

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

he was probably referring to where you like your floating bridge to be. the change of strings might shift the position of your bridge, but like he said, because you're tuning up to standard, it may be pretty close still.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Just a side note: you're having trouble more than likely because of the higher tension and higher action. I'd stay with it and train your hands.. I promise you, if you do that for two weeks, you'll be able to do what you did before on 10s. Just an idea..
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Sorry, MM06, I was referring to the bridge, like Cooltone said.
    With floating bridges, any change in string tension will change the bridge, even a string going a bit out of tune. (don't get me started on Floyd Rose locking bridges, ugh!)
    That is the only adjustment that you'd be likely to need to make in switching like you're saying.
    The rest of the possible adjustements needed, (truss rod, intonation) take a fairly big change to need.

Forum Member

Thanks all but after a good warm up on my acoustic and then a nice long jam with friends on the strat with 11's ive realized all i needed was a few days off for my fingers to recover :

Needless to say I'm playing smoother and faster than ever on that guitar.

Thanks for the help all