Thread: Should I trade my 79 Twin for a 65 DRRI

Forum Member

Should I trade my 79 Twin for a 65 DRRI

I play mostly at home, church on Sundays, and maybe an outdoor thing 2 or 3 times a year. I have a 79 twin reverb that never gets played. I also have a Peavey Classic 30 that I love.

I talked to a guy that is starting to play bigger venues and his DRRI is not cutting the volume. It is a year old. It looks like it is in real good shape.

I love the sound of the twin at the house. When I play outside I mike the Peavey. The twin would be too much there also. You guys think I should keep it in case I ever need the volume and just for the value of the amp? Or should I go ahead and trade it for the DRRI that I would probably use occasionally? I wonder if it is as loud as the peavey? The peavey and the DRRI. Would be like having a Les Paul and a strat? Just use the one you're in the mood for? Or is one louder than the other?

Re: Should I trade my 79 Twin for a 65 DRRI

I say no.

It depends on how attached you are to it.

I resurrrected a basket case twin. I held onto it for about a decade. I sold it, after I realized that I'd only gigged it once, and dragged it out out of the house a half dozen times.

I got rid of it three or four years ago. This is the first time I've really even thought about it.

I usually gig with a ~15W amp. I played an outdoor gig last summer with a 30W amp, and the sound man wasn't happy - it was too loud.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I've got one of them Twins at home. It's cash value is more than the DRRI, but today, if someone wanted to trade, I'd be digging it out of the garage before he had hung up the phone.

I would but I'm no fan of the UL Twins.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Is moving the amp a problem? If it's not i'd Blackface it and buy an attenuator.

The UL Twins aren't really 'blackfaceable.'

There I go making up words again.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Aren't they? Fair enough. I actually have one, but i've never looked inside or looked at the schemo.

The 135 Twin with Ultralinear is way too far gone to be blackfaced.

There are some ways to tame them some, but they just caom out sounding a bit flat, unless you can take 'em outside and turn 'em up.

I've got an NFB pot on mine and sometimes run it with only two 6L6s. It's still not as cool as my BF Pro Reverb.

But then... what is?

Forum Member

Stupid question, but what is 135 Twin with Ultralinear? I'm near a purchase of the master vol twin reverb Silverface (something like this one: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/twin_reverb_sf.html and I would like to know if it can be 'blackfaced' or not...

Thanks!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

That page shows t he SF later models (two of them) both have Ultralinear transformers and the second version has the pull boost that I mentioned in your other thread about the Twin.

Quick answer, no you can't "blackface" a 135 watt Twin Reverb. Well... you can, but it would be very expensive and require serious work.

Hot Dog Amp

id keep it and leave it alone...

I'm an old guy and don't want to haul a twin. I don't own a crane either.
    So, yes and no. Yes, I would sell the twin and then purchase a Deluxe reverb. No, I would not trade unless he was offering some cash with it too.
    Then Play On

Hot Dog Amp

+1 .Good point ! I get my son to load my Twin Amp and band mates to help unload @ gigs.