Thread: Is it worth it? HRDDvl

Is it worth it? HRDDvl

So I have been letting the other guitar player in my band use my recently re-tubed Vintage Club because most of his gear is in Tennessee and I have been digging my Vox AD50VT. In any case he was able to bring some of his stuff back with him on a recent trip and he dropped a 5 yr old Hot Rod Deville in my lap and told me if I wanted to fix it I could have it. He believes that one of the speakers is blown and it won't currently power up, but its my guess that the fuse is just blown. So best case scenario is I'd have to replace the speakers (think they're celestions or emenences not sure), the tubes must be poo by now and the fuse. Now the big question; is it work it? I don't necessarily need another amp, but it would be nice to have a Fender. These amps just aren't that expensive new and I always read bad things about them.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)

Re: Is it worth it? HRDDvl

What ya got to lose? A free amp is a good thing I would crack open the chass and look for bad solder joints burned resistors or other medlays good luck!

Just changed the fuse, checked all the solder joints and board, plugged it in ignored the "drive" and "more drive" channels, plugged in my bad monkey and set the volume to about 7. Man this thing sings! Not sure why all the bad reviews but I think I have a new main amp

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like with new tubes!
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)

Congrats on the new amp. I got along fine wit hmy Hot Rods, but I ended up getting a deal on a new Mesa F-30 (bye bye HR DLx) and a new (old stock still in the store!!!) Sunn T-50c. I wanted the Sunn when I bought the Deville but it was twice the price of the Deville at the time. Traded in the Deville and got a new amp w/ warrantee.. Anyway, I had no problems with either HR amp, but I am much happier now.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash