Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for first time Kit Amp Builder

Re: Advice for first time Kit Amp Builder

Good man, just checking.

As far as tubes go... that's a bit of a pandora's box i'm afraid. The tubes I got with my Weber Bassman were rubbish - sounded crap and I kept bending pins and snapping spacers.
    I replaced them with nice NOS tubes from my collection. If you don't have stuff to fall back on i'd suggest looking at JJ tubes as they're really the best quality current production tubes i've come across.
    That doesn't extend to the Weber copper cap rectifiers though, they're great IMHO.

Tommy.

Forum Member

Try putting 12AY7 in V1 if you want any clean headroom

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    If you don't have stuff to fall back on i'd suggest looking at JJ tubes as they're really the best quality current production tubes i've come across.
    That doesn't extend to the Weber copper cap rectifiers though, they're great IMHO.

Tommy.
    +1,000 on the JJ comment. Incredible tubes.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Try cranking the unsed channel's volume control wide open. This will clean it up a bit. Also as another poster suggested, put a 12ay7 or 12at7 in V1. Dialing back the volume control on your guitar will clean it up as well. Deluxes are a set it up and go amp...

It's a very touch sensitive, organic sounding amp that will bring out everything you do...

I can go from Don Rich clean to Neil Young grunge with a flick of my volume knob.
    Wow...that's what I'd love to have!

Is this something that's inherent of the tweed Deluxes or is it something that's a characteristic of most tweed circuits?

Are the 5E5/5E7/5F4 tweeds similar in this way?

Great pics!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Oh goodie!

My HRDlx is on it's way out (PCB has been repaired one too many times), and I'm putting in a 5Ex circuit with the switchable cathode/adjustable bias thingie you mentioned. I know it's not the same as a true-to-form tweed, but it's what I'm gonna do anyway.

That is, after I finish my tweed Champ first.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think a lot of my last posts were first night jitters, posted right after really using the amp for the first time, i am used to playing through a marshall stack so not used to this style of amp yet, but getting there.

Have played thru it a lot last 2 days of so and have figured out some sweet sounds and im absolutly lovin it.

Will try some different tubes tho, maybe a speaker later if i feel the need.