Thread: Recording vocals

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Recording vocals

Hi.

Does anyone have any recommendations for recording vocals in a small digital home studio? I'm looking at the AKG perception 200 or AKG C3000B, and assume I'd need a mic preamp such as the Behringer Tube Ultragain T1953 Preamp or Studio Projects VTB1.

Am I on the right lines, or am I missing something?

All suggestions welcome, TIA.
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Gravity Jim

Re: Recording vocals

No doubt. I recommended a couple of VTB1's for VO pre-amps in the off-line reading studios at my wife's station, and they sound crackin' good... very, very clean, plenty of gain, and you can dial in the tube "crud" as much or as little as you like. Haven't heard the Behringer, but if they are true to brand the crud will be present at all times.

Thanks guys, I've found a place over here that sells the VTB1, so that's that one sorted.

Any comment on the mic? I got the AKG models from reading around, but I really have no idea whether they're any good or not.
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

TFF Stage Crew

I have the AKG C4000. Love it.

Looks nice PC, but unfortunately it's a bit too pricey for me.

The C3000B is nearly half the price, and while the spec is obviously down on the C4000, I wonder if it'd still be a decent mic. Has anyone tried one?

Thanks Fezz, just had a look at it. Definitely within budget, in fact I could go up a model to the 3035 (Budget's up to around £130-ish - which is about $2500. No hold on, forgot to carry the 1, make that $250 )

Is it a case of the more you spend the better quality you get? Would a move up to a 3035 from a 2020 be a noticeable improvement, or is the 2020 a keenly priced star?

PC's happy with his AKG C4000, but I could only stretch to a C3000. Is that still a good mic, or does the range only start to sparkle with the C4000?

I hope these questions make sense, I am a complete beginner when it comes to recording vocals (having a voice that sounds like a goose farting in the fog doesn't help), so I want to be as clued up as I can before I buy.

Appreciate the help all.

Gravity Jim

I don't have a 3035, but I do have an AT4033, and it's been in constant use for 10 years. It's on a stand in the studio right now, just got used yesterday, in fact. Not only great for male vocals and guitars, but an awesome saxophone/clarinet/oboe mic.

Shure KSM27 is another great value in vocal mics.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how I get on.

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a VTB1 and an AT3035.

I've only had a chance to plug them in and have a play for half an hour, but I'm impressed with the clarity and low noise. Can't wait to have some proper free time to see what I can do with them.

Of course, not everything's positive - there is a downside. More clarity and less noise really gives my voice a chance to sound absolutely crap.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it

Has anyone compared the 3035 with the Studio Projects C1? I have an opportunity to score one of those.

Also, is it imperative to have a Tube Mic Pre with these? I had a PreSonus unit a few years back and hated it. Perhaps I just didn't know how to dial it in...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."