Thread: Which Weber Kit? 5F1 or 5E3?

Forum Member

Which Weber Kit? 5F1 or 5E3?

I'm looking for a little home amp. Something that sounds good clean when at TV-level volume, and something that takes pedals well, because if I want overdrive at those levels that's the best option I've found. I also don't want something too powerful because I want to be able to crank the ba$tard and wank away when I have the occasion, and not go deaf.

However, I can't imagine the 1X10 version of the Champ being much quieter volume wise than a 5E3 Deluxe, and the Deluxe might give me more versatility.

Last time I tried a Super and bit off more than I can chew. I want something simple and manageable this time.

No clue about the speaker. I'm thinking about upgrading to something in his Vintage or British series, depending on if I get the 1X10 Champ or Deluxe.

Any recommendations for a Bedroom amp and speaker combo?

Re: Which Weber Kit? 5F1 or 5E3?

I've got a 5F1 w/10" build in progress as we speak. I chose a Jensen AlNiCo at Jim's (Jim From Texas) suggestion and am building my own cab. I've drawn up the cab to be 1.5" taller and wider than the original Champ cab for the larger speaker.

Can't tell you about the 5E3 as I don't have much experience with them.

I chose the 10" Champ for the very reasons you mention.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I have a Swart 6v6se which is an 5F1 and a 5E3 I built. You will have a bigger variety of tones with the 5E3. The 5F1 is a great amp no mistake. The 5E3 is just more versatile in between the two channels and interactive controls.

Forum Member

If you're looking for bedroom levels clean, the the 5F1 is your ticket... Go with a 10" speaker for better defined bass and a tad more volume. It's not going to be loud enough to gig with and if that's what you're looking for, then the 5E3 would fit the bill. The 5E3 would hold it's own in a small club with one 12"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mageerc View Post
    If you're looking for bedroom levels clean, the the 5F1 is your ticket... Go with a 10" speaker for better defined bass and a tad more volume. It's not going to be loud enough to gig with and if that's what you're looking for, then the 5E3 would fit the bill. The 5E3 would hold it's own in a small club with one 12"
    That is the quandry. I'm thinking that the 5F1 with the 10" speaker (Ted offers a kit for that) is best for clean at mousefart volumes (stick a Keely Tubescreamer in front of it and I'll be set). But I'm not sure how the 5E3 will be at the same volumes. It will be more versatile, though. But I tend to twiddle with the knobs a bit, find a sound I like, set it, and never touch it again except for the Volume control. That would probably change though, if I start playing out.

I'm leaning towards the 5F1 since it'll just be a practice amp. If/When I start playing out at clubs, I'll probably look into a Deluxe or a Super. But this will be for wanking away at home. I'd think about the Princeton too, but I figure I might as well control the tone from the guitar rather than the amp. I'm not sure how much function I'd get out of the Princeton, and the Champ will probably hit its sweet spot a little earlier than the Princeton.

Forum Member

Well look at it this way the 5F1 is $415 5E3 is $495 with the 12inch speaker. I mostly play at home so for that I run 6K6 tubes instead of 6V6 that knocks the 5E3 to about 7 - 8 watts. For the price difference the bang for the buck really falls to the 5E3. Need more watts throw the 6V6's back in.

How about a Tech 21 Trademark 10? About $130 used and they're supposed to be great at low volume, have a balanced line out, reverb, and model "California" (Fender) and "British" (Vox? Marshall?) tones.

The Champ might be a great choice for a low-volume practice amp and ripping, but louder than tv level od, but I've never had good luck putting a distortion or od pedal in front of an amp that wasn't already starting to break a sweat. Just kind of fizzy with the amp turned down.

I've never tried the Trademark 10 but it's on my very short list.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TT100 View Post
    How about a Tech 21 Trademark 10? About $130 used and they're supposed to be great at low volume, have a balanced line out, reverb, and model "California" (Fender) and "British" (Vox? Marshall?) tones.

The Champ might be a great choice for a low-volume practice amp and ripping, but louder than tv level od, but I've never had good luck putting a distortion or od pedal in front of an amp that wasn't already starting to break a sweat. Just kind of fizzy with the amp turned down.

I've never tried the Trademark 10 but it's on my very short list.

TT
    If I remember right, my old 1X12 tweed champ clone at about 2.5-3 was at fairly reasonable volume (maybe about as loud as a tv turned up a bit too much), but had a nice sweet clean tone. I don't think I put a pedal in front of it, but the thing had no clean headrom at all compared to other amps. It might be OK at reasonable volumes.

I can also play around with those 6K6's if I want even less headroom. The pedal might work better at low volumes with 6K6's.

I think I want a tube amp though. If I need mousefart volumes, I'll just grab an acoustic guitar and wank away in my room. I've heard good things about the Trademark 10, and I might try it one of these days. If I get a SS amp, it'll be something with headphones. I'll have to check to see if the Trademark 10 comes with a headphone jack.