Thread: Speaker mounting

Forum Member

Speaker mounting

Hi
    I got this Weber speaker and it's got a paper gasket. When I mount it, do I screw it in all the way until the metal rim touches the baffle, or should it have some clearance? I didn't dare to tigthen it all the way (without asking you first) but I guess it could be done

Re: Speaker mounting

Weber gives the instructions like this:

Tighten all of the screws hand tight.

Then use a wrench to tighten them 1/2-3/4 turn more.

Me, I just use a socket without the ratchet, and get them as tight as I can with my hand, and check them every once in a while.

Tightening too much can warp the basket, and cause voice coil rubs.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post

Me, I just use a socket without the ratchet, and get them as tight as I can with my hand, and check them every once in a while.
    Same here.

If you're mounting on a 3/4" baffle, there shouldn't be a problem with making them fairly tight. The thinner baffles tend to bend though.

I like to tighten them down using a crossover pattern, like changing a tire. Top, bottom, upper left, lower right, far left, far right, etc. Take them all down so they're just snug first, then tighten them the rest of the way. You don't have to crank the hell out of them, just get them good and snug.

It sounds like you're front loading. The metal rim should touch the wood all the way around. If it's floating a little or not seating all the way, STOP! The opening needs to be made larger.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    I like to tighten them down using a crossover pattern, like changing a tire.
    Good point. This evens the stress on the basket, and lessens the chance for warping.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    It sounds like you're front loading. The metal rim should touch the wood all the way around. If it's floating a little or not seating all the way, STOP! The opening needs to be made larger.
    What's front loading? I put the speaker from the back of the amp, I guess front loading would be putting it from the grille side. What are the effects of front loading?

By the way, I did just as Kap'n explained, just wasn't sure. My problem is that somehow the bass doesn't "carry" as well as treble. It sounds awesome 3 feet away but, say 15 feet away the bass "disappears" and the amp sounds quite "thin" and "dry". It's 5F4 kit, 2x10. I played 1x12 before and I didn't notice such effects, it was filling the space better (but then, it didn't dissipate the trebles as efficiently)

It's just a different way to load the speaker. Back loading is more typical for a guitar amp, front loading for Bass and PA. One of the reasons according to Ted Weber is the effect the baffle thickness (he recommends 3/4") affects the sound.

I misunderstood your post. When you said 'paper gasket' and 'metal touches', I assumed you meant you had a separate gasket, and the metal basket wasn't touching evenly while front loading. The gasket would be pretty common with a front load.

Now I see you're asking if you should crank the screws down until the paper facing on the frame mashes tight. But it sounds like your all done and it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    My problem is that somehow the bass doesn't "carry" as well as treble. It sounds awesome 3 feet away but, say 15 feet away the bass "disappears" and the amp sounds quite "thin" and "dry". It's 5F4 kit, 2x10. I played 1x12 before and I didn't notice such effects, it was filling the space better (but then, it didn't dissipate the trebles as efficiently)
    It may be just the interaction of the cabinet shape and the speakers. But bass should carry, it shouldn't cancel out. I wonder if you have one of the speakers hooked up backwards and your getting phase cancelation. Check the leads to both of your speakers. Try switching the leads on one and see if the problem goes away.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

I'm with Guitar Mc on this one. From your description, it sounds like the speakers are wired out of phase. Try like he said switching the leads on the new speaker and it may correct the problem

Forum Member

Oh! I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    I'm with Guitar Mc on this one. From your description, it sounds like the speakers are wired out of phase. Try like he said switching the leads on the new speaker and it may correct the problem
    I think you'll be quite happy with the results of switching the leads on one speaker.

Forum Member

No, I tried it and it was even worse

You replaced 1 speaker? So the 2 are different?

Maybe the 2 different speakers are cancelling each other out, not because they were wired wrong like we had hoped, but a sonic phase cancellation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You replaced 1 speaker? So the 2 are different?

Maybe the 2 different speakers are cancelling each other out, not because they were wired wrong like we had hoped, but a sonic phase cancellation.
    Yes, they are different. one is 10A125 and the other is 10F150
    Ted recommended them.
    You think this might be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Yes, they are different. one is 10A125 and the other is 10F150
    Ted recommended them.
    You think this might be the problem?
    Doubtful. A lot of guys run different drivers because they smooth out each other's resonant frequencies.

Give Ted a call, I'm sure he'll be happy to help.

Forum Member

BTW, I played bass through another 2x10 and noticed the same thing...
    Is it some 2x10 thing or?