Thread: MXR Micro Amp vs. BBE Boosta Grande vs. SD Pickup Booster

MXR Micro Amp vs. BBE Boosta Grande vs. SD Pickup Booster

TFF bretheren,

I've been thinking about purchasing a clean boost for my Maz Jr to drive it into the sweet spot - my Blues Driver just doesn't make it as a boost.

These three products are all relatively affordable, & within about $10 of each other - so which is the winner?

Or, should I just pick the cheapest & boost away?
    Somehow, I can't see spending $200 on a "loud box", so let's just keep it to these three - no Zvex's or Bad Bobs please. These are fine pedals, I'm sure, but I want to keep it under $100...

Many thanks,

-detuned
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Forum Member

Re: MXR Micro Amp vs. BBE Boosta Grande vs. SD Pickup Booster

I have been using my MXR Micro Amp more than happily for the last 4 years. It has a great amount of gain on tap, but it also adds a bit of zing and snap to a long cable or signal chain. I don't really notice any tone sucking when it is bypassed either. I am on the lookout for a used one to add to my rig, that way I can have one at the front of the chain set at unity level to buffer my chain and one at the end to use as a lead boost.

I just bought one off ebay.

I had one of the originals back in the late 70s and it's in a multi effects frankenstein box I built. I haven't used that box in many many years, but I would like to get back to using the MXR. Good clean line boost.

You may be dissapointed in the device not exaclty putting the amp into the "sweet spot" it can certainly get it to break up, but that's not the same as the amp being in the sweet spot. The front end will lack much of the dynamic that makes them sing.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I considered the SD, but some of the reviews (harmony central) weren't that convincing. I took a chance on the BBE (based on its simple design) I have never tried the MXR.

As I stated in another thread, I am delighted with the BBE.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

BTW,
    If you are wanting the MXR, get the oldest one you can find (unless you like the LED indicator.

The newest generation aren't as tough and have PCB mounted jacks. A real no-no. the originals are tough cast metal boxes with Switchcraft jacks firmly mounted to the box and are hand wired to the board.

The older rubber knob covers are softer and allow for easier foot adjustments of the level. I'm such a geek I just bought four NOS knob rubbers at ebay to go with the old Micro Amp I just bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    BTW,
    If you are wanting the MXR, get the oldest one you can find (unless you like the LED indicator.

The newest generation aren't as tough and have PCB mounted jacks. A real no-no. the originals are tough cast metal boxes with Switchcraft jacks firmly mounted to the box and are hand wired to the board.

The older rubber knob covers are softer and allow for easier foot adjustments of the level. I'm such a geek I just bought four NOS knob rubbers at ebay to go with the old Micro Amp I just bought!

i've had both, and wish i never sold my original. the new reissue sounded harsh, not that the old one was totally transparent mind you. live and learn.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

$200 on a Bad Bob is out of line. I picked mine up for just the high side of $100. Worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    $200 on a Bad Bob is out of line. I picked mine up for just the high side of $100. Worth every cent.
    Where?

I see that the Barber Launch Pad is $125...

But that's still about $50 more than I want to spend.
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by bradw View Post
    Where?
    Sorry, just saw this.

Fleabay for $104

A new Bad Bob is around $129 or something. They show up infrequently for around one bill. Infrequently because everybody who buys one keeps it.

When I first bought mine, I couldn't get the magic out of it. It's because of what I was doing with it. I was using it with BF-style Fenders that weren't on the edge. They've got miles of headroom and extended high end, so it wasn't the right fit.

Since I've switched to tweedy circuits, it's magic. Turns generic on the edge to that crisp Stones/Mellencamp breaking-toasty kind of sound.

The Launch Pad is OK, but didn't do it for me. I think one of the key things is a high-Z input impdence to keep the high end intact.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Turns generic on the edge to that crisp Stones/Mellencamp breaking-toasty kind of sound.
    Shoot, I love that sound. I always thought you could only get it with a strat or tele and a wound-up large tweed amp.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."