Thread: GOLD here!!

Forum Member

GOLD here!!

This is the first retail Celestion Gold Ive seen. Guess its probably available everywhere now.Its arrival is a little early. I had't been expecting it till early next year. Ive been waiting to slap one of these beauties into my Carlsbro 1X12 combo. At 269.00 + shipping, I will have to wait a LOT longer though. Best new production speaker in the world? Probably.... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Celestion-Al...em220046242975

Re: GOLD here!!

$269 is more than I would ever pay for a speaker. I have a Weber Blue Dog, which is a copy of the Celestion Blue, that cost $179, and even that is a little much. I'd check other sources before handing that guy $300 for a speaker you've never heard. Just my 2 cents.

What's supposed to be so magical about it? Did one of the Troggs sprinkle fairy dust on it?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

One thing you gotta love about me. I'm always wrong.At least i admit it.Yea, ive never heard any of the custom spekers like tone tubby hemp(they are supposed to really smoke-get it..hemp..smoke..?-jeez, i crack myself up!).I really shouldn't be procaliming it as the worlds best cause I dont really know anything except that Ive heard the Celestion Blue heralded as the greatest speaker of all time and the "Gold" is supposed to be a higher power version of the Blue, and I'm only talking current production. Theres also a company that makes a speaker called "Scumback" that are supposed to be great.

Scumbacks are made by Weber as an OEM for some guy, and are supposed to be dead-on versions of some ancient Celestion.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    But I feel the Blue has that magic due to the paper former and lower power rating.
    I think it's a function of mass. Light cone + light coil + big magnet/narrow gap = touch sensitivity.

I wonder if using an aluminum coil might allow more power?
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    What's supposed to be so magical about it? Did one of the Troggs sprinkle fairy dust on it?

"My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    One thing you gotta love about me. I'm always wrong.At least i admit it.Yea, ive never heard any of the custom spekers like tone tubby hemp(they are supposed to really smoke-get it..hemp..smoke..?-jeez, i crack myself up!).I really shouldn't be procaliming it as the worlds best cause I dont really know anything except that Ive heard the Celestion Blue heralded as the greatest speaker of all time and the "Gold" is supposed to be a higher power version of the Blue, and I'm only talking current production. Theres also a company that makes a speaker called "Scumback" that are supposed to be great.
    Nah man. There's no 'wrong' when it comes to tone, just whatever works for you. You really should hear the Celestion Blue before just believing everything you hear/read though, cause $269 is a lot of money.

'People' (usually people trying to sell you something) will rave about these high dollar items to be the ultimate whatever, and maybe the majority of consumers will crap their pants over it, but that doesn't mean it's a sound that you would really be satisfied with.

You might put it in your amp and say, "Oh, that's that tone that everyone on the freakin' planet seems to use that I hate." That's usually what comes to mind for me when I play through a newer Marshall.