Thread: Installing Noiseless pickups in my strat - am I doing this right?

Forum Member

Installing Noiseless pickups in my strat - am I doing this right?

Hello everyone,
    I'm installing a set of noiseless pickups in my strat - I understand the wiring side of things, but i'm a little unsure as to what the extra cap and capacitor are for. I know where to install the large one though. I'm using two wiring diagrams, the crappy one that came w/the pickups and the one for the AM Deluxe strat from the Fender support site.

I made an illustration (see link) of what I think i'm supposed to do, but if someone could confirm this for me or advise the correct way that would be great. I've installed pickups before, but not like this (new pots, capacitors, etc.). I don't want to start soldering until i'm sure i'm doing it right.

Also, included in the package were two 1-meg pots and one 500k pot - i'm assuming the 500k is the volume and the 1-meg's are the tone?

Thanks!!!

Re: Installing Noiseless pickups in my strat - am I doing this right?

Hi,
    The resistor and cap form a treble-bleed circuit. They allow some treble frequencies to bypass the volume control so that the pickups don't sound muddy when the volume is turned down.

Your diagram is mostly correct, except for one error. The wire running off to the right of your schematic from your volume pot's right-most terminal should actually be connected to the pot's center terminal. That is the signal wire that should be going to the output jack. The right-most terminal should still have the connection to the pot's metal case.

If you look at your guitar's current wiring, it should be essentially the same (assuming it is wired correct) except for the pot values and the extra resistor and cap.

-- Chris
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Re: Installing Noiseless pickups in my strat - am I doing this right?

Awesome!
    Thanks - can't wait to try it out tonight.

-Rob