Thread: Well, it's on it's way...

Well, it's on it's way...

After months of deliberation, i've ordered my amp kit from Weber. Rather than a twin i've gone for.... a Bassman! I finally thought that it's a classic amp and it's going to sound good whatever happens so I forgot about a twin. Think i'll go for one of them next year..!

I also ordered one of the Sig 12Bs for my HRDlx. It was only $45 and with exchange rates being what they are it's worth it just for the sake of trying even if I don't like it.

So, i'm in a good mood! Hopefully I should have it all in a few weeks!

Thanks for all your help guys,
    Tommy.

Forum Member

Re: Well, it's on it's way...

Be sure to get some Mallory 150 coupling caps and consider a mercury Magnetics output transformer, as well as some Switchcraft input jacks.

You will love a Bassman. Hope you have some gigs where you can actually use it. I get to use mine occasionally.

Oh yes, i've already got my cap supplier sorted out!

http://www.ampmaker.com/sc02x.asp

Switchcraft jacks are waiting in my parts box for the kit already.

Are the MMs all they're cracked up to be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziess
    I'd build it with the weber transformers first. I have a feeling they're actually decent, especially for the price. Good speakers will make a larger improvement.

I plan to replace the speakers after the amp's finished. I reckon i'll get on fine with the sig10s' for a while.
    I just had a look at those Xformers. Damn, they're expensive!

Forum Member

Oh yes, i've already got my cap supplier sorted out!

http://www.ampmaker.com/sc02x.asp

Switchcraft jacks are waiting in my parts box for the kit already.

Yes, the MMs are EVERYTHING they're cracked up to be. Esp the OTs.

Forum Member

Heyboers are also very good, you can get these from David Allen.

http://www.allenamps.com/

I have a Weber 5F6A bassman with the sig 10s and the Weber transformers and it sounds awesome. I was concerned about the speakers, but I think that they sound great. I can play the amp on 3 with my TS in front and I get a great blues sound.

Everything I've heard points to YES.

I've talked to a lot of amp gurus here about this subject and the consensus is, if you can't afford the full complement of trannies from MM, at least plan to get hold of the OT.

The Webers are pretty good and priced well, so they're worth it, too. Haven't heard complaints about them yet, but they're not clones of the originals like MMs are.

I'm still in the throes of my 5E5-A build (ordering all my components from Mouser this week most likely), and am planning for the MM OT for sure.

JMI Music (Jim From Texas around these parts) is a big help, too. Might wanna give him a shout.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Ted explained to me once that the kits were initially intended mainly for electronics tinkerers, like himself.

Some folks can buy the kit, and shotgun replace the caps, transformers, etc. And that's fine.

Other folks can build the kit, then try, for example, somebody else's transformer, and see what the difference is. Or change the value of a coupling cap or bypass cap, etc. and see what happens. Make it a complete learning experience.

The beauty is you can make those changes later, or not at all, depending on how happy you are with what you get when you first fire it up.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    The beauty is you can make those changes later, or not at all, depending on how happy you are with what you get when you first fire it up.
    Yes, that's a good point. Even just a few years ago, if you wanted to be a DIY'er you had to build your own chassis (or sacrifice an old amp chassis), build your own turret or eyelet boards, source parts etc. Ted's kits get you started on all that at a good cost too.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    Yes, that's a good point. Even just a few years ago, if you wanted to be a DIY'er you had to build your own chassis (or sacrifice an old amp chassis), build your own turret or eyelet boards, source parts etc. Ted's kits get you started on all that at a good cost too.
    Yep. I've got a gutted SF Princeton Reverb and BF Bassman that prove it.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Thats why I'm not too concerned about making my 5F4 showroom perfect from an asthetic point of view on the first build. Sure I want to impress you dumbasses with groovy pics of an awesome build but I know I'll be back into it to monkey around after the initial trial.

Shouldn't have to mess with much though as I've gone with 150s, MM trannies, Switchcraft jacks and Atoms right off the bat. I may play with voicing the bright channel differently by subbing 225 ODs instead of the 150s and playing with component values but fact is I might just leave it for a while. It's taking a long time to finish with work and home projects taking a lot of time.

Congrats on the Bassman!

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Heyboers makes the Mojo trannies as well as some of the ones from Mission. Good stuff, but the MM's are in a class by themselves.

Ted's trannies are great for their price point, but the MM that replaced the stock Weber OT in my Deluxe blew it completely out of the water. It was like lifting a blanket off of the amp.
    this was my experience with both my Deluxe and my Bassman.