Thread: HRDX Speaker

HRDX Speaker

Hello guys. I am new to the forum and I have a hot rod deluxe. However there isin't enough Headroom for me. I aminly play jazz and blues. I am pretty sure i am gonna put in some 12AT7's (JJ's so ECC81) in the V2 and V3(Balanced here) and maybe in V1 or i mite just put an 12AX7 there. I am going to put some 7581A in the power tubes. So would this be a good tube combination for more headroom? Also i am looking to put in a speaker maybe a V30 or A Bluedog Alnico magnet. You guys are welcome to any suggestions.
    Thanks Nick

Re: HRDX Speaker

I, personally, have 12AV7 in V2 and V3. You'll like a lower gain tube swap.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Check out the Unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe Owner's Guide, the guy has a whole section on your Q! (Google the title). I've also been hearing very good things about Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Good Luck!

My advice would be to sell the HRDx, and start with a new amp already a bit closer to your needs. These are not the best made amps in the world, and upgrading them is a bit of a "sow's ear into silk purse" deal. It'll cost you as much (or more) in the long run than the money you would have spent on a decent amp. The result will never be any better than a mediocre sounding amp, and you'll still have all the potential reliability issues to deal with. Just my $.02

-Mark

Forum Member

The HRD is still a fine amp, you will be surprised at what quality tubes and a descent speaker can do with out having to change amps. I had a HRD a while ago and thought it was a good amp.

I'm using a Blues Deluxe RI now which for me is an awesome sounding amp, I use all JJ tubes and that made a very noticable difference for the better!

Plugger's post: +1 --- take it from someone who owns one, with better tubes and the AlNiCo Bluedog you speak of.

The difference a new speaker makes is stunning, but when the novelty wears off, all you really have is a mediocre amp with a good speaker (that will never reach its full potential in said amp)

Just MY $.02

Selling it isn't an option for me and besides i love the tone. But im still stuck on what speaker to put in for more headroom but i want a speaker that can still play some good ol blues. A speaker with a higher wattage would give me more headroom correct like the Jensen C12K is 100-150. But is this speaker still god for blues?

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Try a 50 watt Blue Dog ceramic, lightly doped, better for what you wanna do than a V30...

I have the emerald and it sounds fine for a $600 amp
    It has the celestion 30 watt 8 ohm upgrade

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

It has the celestion 30 watt 8 ohm upgrade
    I owned one of those. I believe the V30 is 60 watts. A loud speaker, really good for OD. But I don't think that's what he's looking for.

Jensen C12N are good speakers for that amp if your playing clean. They aren't the best distortion speaker. Hellatones (Celestion G12H30 / Vintage 30) are great for distortion and clean tones from AVATAR SPEAKERS. They run 75-79 + $8 for shipping. You can get a new Jensen for $45.
    Robert

Forum Member

Check out the Eminence's Texas Heat. Very nice clean and very crunchy when overdriven with plenty of headroom (150w max). The cost is only $59.00 from MF. Eminence makes very good speakers. The one they made for the Fender is just not exceptable.
    Another mans passion is another mans poison

So what if you are looking to play more of a bluesy, dirty tone? I just put a set of JJ's in and am looking for a speaker that will compliment. Vintage 30, Red - White and Blues, etc?

Any thoughts?
    All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players ...

IMHO, V30's are shy on the bottom end in an open back cabinet. Depending on the amp, they can have a really shrill high end, too. Me no likey.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    IMHO, V30's are shy on the bottom end in an open back cabinet. Depending on the amp, they can have a really shrill high end, too. Me no likey.
    I think it sounds good in this amp (although, to be honest, I don't have anything to compare with).

I think the HRDlx is pretty bottom-heavy in nature, so it may help with the issue you mentioned, Kap'n, but again, I'm not experienced with this speaker elsewhere.

I also have a bypass cap mod in mine, too, and might behave better in the low-end than stock configurations do.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Selling it isn't an option for me and besides i love the tone. But im still stuck on what speaker to put in for more headroom but i want a speaker that can still play some good ol blues.
    - You like the tone, but I've found that changing the speaker is the single easiest way to change the tone of an amp. If you change the speaker for more headroom. You will change the 'tone' of your amp.

- Changing the speaker will only give you more headroom if the distortion you hear is from speaker distortion. It is my experience that the clean channel will distort relatively early in a HRDx due to the power tubes and the biasing, not the speaker.

If you want clean power, try your 7581 idea (its not cheap) and rebais, then see if you need a new speaker.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

i bought the eminence governor for my HRD.way too much mid.Just installed the eminence red,white and blues,sounds great and its not even fully broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by godinman
    Just installed the eminence red,white and blues,sounds great ...
    Hmm...I was thinking about an Eminence in my HRDlx, too. I want to save my Vintage30 for an upcoming build, and didn't want to use anything too fancy in the HRDlx.

-Edmund Burke