Thread: 66 Super/Channel Vol Issue

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

66 Super/Channel Vol Issue

Seems to be a HUGE volume differential between my non vib and vib/verb channels. Iszat normal...? If not what might it be? Thanks gurus.

Re: 66 Super/Channel Vol Issue

Yes, it's normal. The Rev/Trem channel has one more gain stage.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Hmmm, i may have to "have something done" to this amp (my only un-modded baby to this point). The verb is awesome but the vibrato is nothing special. I wonder is there a way to tap into the verb from other channel or would taking vibe out of circuit would significantly boost channel 2...? Seems like I've heard of something along these lines before.

Yes Fezz, that was the topic of another thread. It aint that loud. Not as loud as my HRDx w/ V30 was (which i did play dimed sometimes). I have A/B-ed it against a stock 66 BFSR (local music store owner has one) and his is def louder. One theory is that the OT may have been replaced with something tamer. But I am not an expert on that. There is a strange history to my amp. It was given to me as a teenager after I begged its owner to make me a pedal steel (that was his trade). He declined and gave me this old Super that had its cab burnt off (and maybe a new OT?) and replaced with a cheesy homemade one that the other players called "The Scottsman" due to its plaid grillecloth, etc. Two years later tired of being made fun of I came across an almost new 1970 Super cab sans chassis but with 4 JBLs still in it. The music store had no use for it so I made the switch. I have the amp straight through all these years, tho from 1979-2005 it sat in whatever garage i had. I'm not an expert and they are few and far between around here. All I know now it doesn't seem srong enough in channel 2 and I like the sound/vol coming from channel one better. It seems much stronger. Someday someone really good with amps will look into and figure out why that is. But, my bandmates would also tell you I play way too loud at times, but in a good way... :-)

Drop by sometime. I live in a paradise. My back door opens onto a black pool that ends over a natural lake that backs into a wild island, etc. Eagles, otters, herons and such are my neighbors. I'm a mile from some of the best beaches anywhere (the surf was awesome today in fact). In April (our best month of the year) there is an outdoor Blues Fest on the beach lawn w/in walking distance of my house. My wife always has iced tea and a smile ready for the unexpected guest (true southern hospitality). You would not like it here in the summer tho - way too hot and muggy... :-)

Forum Member

How are the JBL's wired in the cab? A Super wants to see a 2 ohm load (at least with stock OT), which would be 4 8ohm speakers in parallel. Assuming the amps working right (good tubes, caps etc), and the speakers are OK, a Super with JBLs will be extremely loud. No comparison to a HRDx.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    a Super with JBLs will be extremely loud.
    Yep. It should keep up with a Twin easily.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Hmmm, I am going to drag that monster (100+ llbs) into the shop tonight and compare it side by side to Chip's stock BFSR. JAM, I totally forgot that when i had the cap job done several months ago i asked Jerry to get a reading on imp of OT and never followed up. Oddly, it has killer early breakup and Jerry theorized it being because the amp doesn't have enough juice for the speakers. Seemed odd but i trust/value his opinion...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    ... Oddly, it has killer early breakup and Jerry theorized it being because the amp doesn't have enough juice for the speakers. Seemed odd but i trust/value his opinion...

A Champ has enough juice for JBLs. With a Super it will scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    All I know now it doesn't seem srong enough in channel 2 and I like the sound/vol coming from channel one better. It seems much stronger.
    Isn't that opposite of normal? Channel 2 (rev/vib channel) is louder on my Vibrolux Reverb than channel 1 (normal channel).