Thread: 'nother baby in the oven

Forum Member

'nother baby in the oven

Just bought this Swamp Ash body off eBay. *This baby is 2.6lbs!! *That means about a 6.5lbs Strat.

I'm having Manny (VintageRelics.com) paint it for me: very light nitrocellulous faded/relic'd Blonde. *Then I'll do the traditional 50's 8 screw single-ply guard with a fat C maple neck. *It's been a long time since I've had a sweet light Ash/Maple Strat. *With the right pups these are great sounding; different from the Alder/RW I typically use. *

I don't see this becoming my #1 Strat - that distinction will stay with my original '62. *But a '54-6 style Strat was a wonderful tone.
    Last edited by nickcha; 06-24-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Re: 'nother baby in the oven

Nice find. Once you route it out for the Floyd Rose whammy and drill a monkey grip through it, that thing should really rock!
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

You read my mind.

Okay, seriously, what hardware / pickups, etc are you using? Should be a ridiculously cool guitar. My tele and I are bonded for life but she sure is heavy after about 3 hours. My back would thank me if I found a lighter body like that.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

I'll probably go with aged Callaham hdwr (except the saddles, which I will look for proper "Fender" labled ones instead).

For the pups, I'll call Jim Rolph, describe the guitar, and let him wind me a set of proper '55-'56 pups. I've never heard a set of his that weren't terrific sounding.

This guitar will probably weigh in at about 6.5 lbs.