Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need suggestions.

Re: Need suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    I have a friend who's a big time guitarist.
    Really? I'm in touch with your world. Or at least, should be. I need to give those a spin.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Both he and the other guitarist/singer (who has been known to "bang the drum all day", but is more than capable of playing some "Nazz-ty" guitar himself) are both using the new Vox Valvetronix amps (AD60VTX, AD120VTX) for their live shows.
    Yeah, but if it's the guy I'm thinking of, what would he know? I heard he got "fooled" into buying one of EC's old guitars...

But in a Utopian world....

-Mark

(BTW, extremely cool post, Fezz... very enjoyable. Cheers!)

I have a friend ...

... it really did "Open My Eyes" to the fact that these things are pretty damn good amps.

So, "Let The Good Times Roll" and at least give one a test drive...(more automotive hints)
    Is there "Something, Anything" else you'd like to add to this Utopia(n) anecdote of yours?

I think "We Gotta Get You a Woman."
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

until I saw these guys, they always seemed to come up short in a live setting. They really did deliver.:yay
    Were you hearing the stage sound, or the FOH mix?
    orange picks

:lol
    orange picks

I'd be willing to bet that 95+% of all currently recorded music that you hear on records, radio, commercials, advertising, TV shows and movies is POS modeling crap
    I don't listen to newer music. The most recent band I listen to is Velvet Revolver, and Slash uses JCM800's, and Vox AC30's. Dave Kushner (the rhythm guitarist) uses Bogners.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps
    Marshall MG30DFX (rehearsing amp)
    Orange Rockerverb 30 Half-Stack(gigging amp)

Forum Member

Used Sovtek amp heads can still be had on the cheap. Good for all around Rock N' Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by The Volitan
    I don't listen to newer music. The most recent band I listen to is Velvet Revolver, and Slash uses JCM800's, and Vox AC30's. Dave Kushner (the rhythm guitarist) uses Bogners.
    :zzz
    orange picks

Forum Member

The Valvetronix line is actually quite different from the other modelers out there, you might want to at least try one with an open mind. The Vox models themselves (AC30/15) are supposed to be the most accurate, and they definitely sound better than your rehearsing amp (remember..."solid states can suck it!" ).

You mention you need an amp for low-level practive, also. The Vox can be adjusted down to a 1-watt output level so you can saturate the power section without blasting the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
    The Valvetronix line is actually quite different from the other modelers out there, you might want to at least try one with an open mind. The Vox models themselves (AC30/15) are supposed to be the most accurate, and they definitely sound better than your rehearsing amp (remember..."solid states can suck it!" ).

You mention you need an amp for low-level practive, also. The Vox can be adjusted down to a 1-watt output level so you can saturate the power section without blasting the volume.
    My rehearsing amp does suck. Are you saying the Valvetronix, can be adjusted or what? When you say "The Vox models themselves (AC30/15) are supposed to be the most accurate," what do you meant. Accurate to what??
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    :zzz
    ????
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Forum Member

Are you saying the Valvetronix, can be adjusted or what?
    I mean there's a control to lower the output wattage down to 1 watt, so it's like cranking a 1 watt amp instead of a higher-powered one. Different from a master Volume.

When you say "The Vox models themselves (AC30/15) are supposed to be the most accurate," what do you meant. Accurate to what??
    Well, to what they're purporting to model, of course. The Vox and Fender models are closest to the "idealized" sounds of the actual amps, the really high gain stuff is not as close to the real thing...but still really sweet.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/va...vtOverview.htm

Well as for the modelling thing, I just don't want some imposter. I want the real deal.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Forum Member

Well as for the modelling thing, I just don't want some imposter. I want the real deal.
    Umm, ok. Well, what don't you like about the AC30CC you're borrowing now?

As if the AC30CC is the real deal anyway. :lol Reverb, fx loop, etc. It just busts me up when people say that stuff.

I mean it might not be a bad amp, even if you do have to unsolder the speakers to change the tubes.

But then again, the Valvetronix might just be nice too.
    orange picks

It isn't mine. I know a guy who lets me use his when I gig. It has pretty good tone compared to my Marshall MG30, but the AC30 tone isn't what I want. I just use it out of nesseceity (sp?). I wouldn't want to buy one to keep though. Changing tubes is a headache from what I hear.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Also, what are Vibrolux and '65 Reverb RI's like? Even though /the Bassman seems like my choice, I just wanna know. No matter what I pick, I'm gonna be using a Blues Driver, so Im just curious.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

The Custom Vibrolux isn't a RI amp at all, it's basically the Prosonic in a different package. The SRRI is an OK amp, the speakers (RI Jensen P10R's) that it comes with aren't right for it (way too bright), other than that, it's OK. I've played a SRRI side by side with my '66, and the '66 buried it.
    I thought the CVR was the old brown Vibroverb RI, with some bad modification (open loop, bad speakers, etc.).

Re: SRRI and Jensens. An example of speakers bought for the nametag (and low OEM cost) more than the suitability for the application. But FMIC knows the value of a trademark at least as well as anybody in the industry. Still, I'd wager it's one of the better amps they've made since 1980 or so.
    orange picks

Forum Member

Well, if you want a nice, clean, tube platform to use pedals with for under $1000 that's not so powerful that it needs to be deafening for good tone, maybe the '65 DRRI is a good choice. I don't think you could go wrong with the Bassman, either, if you're set on that, but the DR will break up a little earlier.

The owner of the music store I teach at will not stock any carvin electronics at all. That means that if a Carvin amp comes in for trade, he won't even look at it. Says the build quality is low and so the failure rate is high.

I'd go with the Bassman RI and the Blues Driver...then do the Keeley mod on the BD.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle
    I'd go with the Bassman RI and the Blues Driver...then do the Keeley mod on the BD.
    You can probably get a used '59 Bassman RI for a decent price too.

Forum Member

Then again, since you're playing to audiences of ~1000, just let your record company bring you a few and keep the one you like. ;)

How about 4 Marshall stacks, and a power attenuator?

Then again, since you're playing to audiences of ~1000, just let your record company bring you a few and keep the one you like. ;)
    I DID have a record deal, but the label went under a little bit after my band's EP was released.

I only play for ~1000, once a year at the school battle of the bands. But clubs can still get pretty packed sometimes.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Volitan
    I DID have a record deal, but the label went under a little bit after my band's EP was released.

I only play for ~1000, once a year at the school battle of the bands. But clubs can still get pretty packed sometimes.
    Clubs? Look man, I make my living playing in clubs, festivals and dances. You need a little amp that you can crank up and an sm57. A 4X10 amp isn't gonna do you any tone favors in an setting where you have to watch your volume. The ideal thing is to have different amps for different room sizes. I would not buy an amp based on a 1X a year NON paying gig. Screw that stuff. Get a Deluxe Reverb Reissue or the new Clark Beaufort Special. Good luck pal,
    Greentone

+1 for a DRRI :)
    For 1000+ people...get a good mic, a good PA system and a couple of Voice Of The Theater cabs. That's what my old band had. Seems like our sound guy needed a crain to move those cabs around, though. :lol
    Then Play On

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    +1 for a DRRI :)a couple of Voice Of The Theater cabs.
    Holy Smokes! There's a blast from the past. Heavy as hell, but they had their own power! You could daisy chain 1000 of them together if you wanted. And now everyone raves about the 'new' powered PA cabs. What a novel idea! What's old is new again.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

You might also try out a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 or a Peavey Vibroking.

oops, meant to say Peavey Valve King

Of course Vibro King is a Fender.
    Last edited by MMP; 02-14-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Then Play On

Buy a Hot Rod Deluxe and change the speaker - $700.

Buy a Vox AD30VT for practice at home - $239.

Budget left over for beer and pizza - $ 61.

That's what I'd do.
    Actually, that's what I've done. Nice pair.
    Carry On!

John

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    You might also try out a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 or a Peavey Vibroking.

I was actually considering a Peavey Classic 30 Head through a Marshall 1960 cab. My pal tried out a peavey at the local shop and it was sweet.
    Guitars
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe

Amps

Get a "smokey" and then you've got $975 left over for beer and pizza.

Volitan,
    I went the classic 30 route. Found it on eBay with the cover and footswitch for about $350. Added a 12" ext cab $75
    Great set up for clubs or the bdr. either one. Buget $575 for beer & tacos ;)
    Last edited by MMP; 02-14-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Then Play On

Yeah, the smokey! Those things are badass! Plug it in to your marshall cab and prepare to be amazed...

Or for practice at home just put a dime on top of the built-in speaker for some killer overdrive

Does the dime move around a lot in a hypnotical manner while you play the smokey.

If so, count me in sir. I'm off to buy one. My Danelectro Honeytone headset thing stinks and it does not vibrate coins all over.

What was I thinking?
    Carry On!

John

I was right in front, so I wasn't in the mains at all. It was all stage volume I was hearing, and it was really good. One of the shows I was standing there with Don Butler, and even he was blown away by the Vavetronix stuff (this from a die-hard JMI AC30 guy).
    Not the same amp, but I tried out one of the Vox AD15VTs today. I was really pretty impressed. By far the best sounding SS amp I've ever played, and better than some of the tube ones. It certainly blows away any unmodded SF Champ I've ever played. For a practice amp, very, very nice. I'd have to play one of the bigger ones in a band setting to know how they'd work out live.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by studio1087
    Does the dime move around a lot in a hypnotical manner while you play the smokey.
    Depends on what you're playing. If you play the Grateful Dead it dances, if you play Henry Rollins band it jumps up and kicks your ass!

OK, that was lame, sorry. Double post too, sorry. Sorry. :toobad

Forum Member

Not the same amp, but I tried out one of the Vox AD15VTs today. I was really pretty impressed. By far the best sounding SS amp I've ever played, and better than some of the tube ones.
    Ahh...now you've got to try the VR15/30, which are the only ones that don't have all that digital modeling/conversion between you and that tube. Mainline, baby. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Not the same amp, but I tried out one of the Vox AD15VTs today. I was really pretty impressed. By far the best sounding SS amp I've ever played, and better than some of the tube ones. It certainly blows away any unmodded SF Champ I've ever played. For a practice amp, very, very nice. I'd have to play one of the bigger ones in a band setting to know how they'd work out live.
    The key to the better sound from the larger ADxxVT series is mostly in the speakers, AFAICT. Telecast nailed it when he posted his "you will pleasantly surprised ... 4 x 12 ... " post. I think the basic characteristics of the actual tone circuitry probably doesn't change that much as go up the food chain (a few more bells'n'whistles perhaps), but going from the 8" AD15VT up to the 10" AD30VT and then up from there does make a significant difference.

To test out the "additional tone is in the cab" theory, I plugged my AD30VT into my Musicman 210 HD130... whoa. Real "Voice of God" stuff. Almost scary actually.

-Mark

Forum Member

The key to the better sound from the larger ADxxVT series is mostly in the speakers, AFAICT.
    Yeah, I think so. Even with the VTX, there are certainly more features, but I think the VR section itself (the heart of the tone as I see it) is the same throughout the line. Stepping up in power is very little advantage, I think, the bigger speakers make the difference.