Thread: Fender Jaguar "Prototype" Need help please?

Forum Member

Fender Jaguar "Prototype" Need help please?

Hi!
    First I have to say that I personally have No knowledge about Fender guitar in general, so I hope that somebody here is able to help me with my questions.

Well, a friend of mine has a 1962 Fender Jaguar. It's pretty worn (the finish and back of neck) otherwise in good condition.
    The guitar has a black finish with matching headstock and doesn't have the "Jaguar" written on the headstock only Fender.
    it has chrome hardware with trem arm which has tarnished over the years and a white pickguard, + some kind of "cloth muter" behind the bridge PU.
    Can't remember if it has binding on neck though (Don't think so)
    On the back of the body the finish is pretty worn and you can see that the guitar was once finished in sunburst. My friend says that it was factory finished in black (over the sunburst colour) in 1962 and that it's some kind of prototype as it was one of the first 100 Jaguars made.

My question is: Could this really be true?
    What kind of material is the neck made of (It's a dark board neck)?
    And what's it worth?

I'm asking because he might be interested in a trade for one of my guitars and I would just like to know ANYTHING about this kind of guitar, Priice, etc???

Everything is original, pretty worn, kind of thin/medium neck shape (which the laquer on back is worn off by time)
    Sounds really good and No problems staying in tune.
    It's from 1962.

Anything would be greatly appreciated?

Best Regards!

Re: Fender Jaguar "Prototype" Need help please?

There was at least one Jaguar made without a logo. It appears in some old FEI photography, posed next to, you guessed it, a Jaguar auto.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Fender left the name off all Black headstocks. Jazzmasters and Jazz Basses were like this also. Don't consider it a "prototype" because it only says "Fender".
    Black over Burst has been seen many times. They would often paint over one color if another was needed.
    The fingerboard is Rosewood.
    Worth?? I've seen over 6K asked for them.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

Forum Member

HI!

Thanks for your replies.
    Well, I'm going to check the serial No, that would be on both neck and Neckplate, right?
    Not in best condition (belt buckle marks etc.) But if one of the first 100 models have something to say too, right?
    Anyone here able to check complete ´serial # if I dated it? Also I'll try to get some pics as that might help too. As I said I have NO knowledge in the Fender market/product line.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Perry
    HI!

Thanks for your replies.
    Well, I'm going to check the serial No, that would be on both neck and Neckplate, right?
    Not in best condition (belt buckle marks etc.) But if one of the first 100 models have something to say too, right?
    Anyone here able to check complete ´serial # if I dated it? Also I'll try to get some pics as that might help too. As I said I have NO knowledge in the Fender market/product line.
    Thanks
    If it's as old as you think then the date of manufacture MAY be on the end of the neck...but you'll need to take the neck off to see it.

My Jazzmaster has 4Jul63 stamped on it in red.

Forum Member

But if you can get it for a reasonable deal, it doesn't really matter if the date is off by a year or two. These guitars have gotten expensive...