Thread: AHH! Theres a ghost in my amp!

Forum Member

AHH! Theres a ghost in my amp!

Ok so this is what happened. About 10 minutes ago i was just kinda playing just messing around then i noticed this high pitched squeeling kind of noise coming from my amp. It was really soft but i had no idea what it could be. (I have a HRDX by the way) and so i unplugged my guitar and my footswitch and it kept doing it... i left it on standby for a minute and then turned back on and the squeel was still there. Now i have no idea what in the world this could be so i decided to record it and see if you, more knowlageable people might be able to help me out.

This is scary! :bug

Forum Member

Re: AHH! Theres a ghost in my amp!

Alright well i let it cool down for a few hours and i used it on low volume for like 20 mins and it seemed fine... im not sure what was up with that. Any ideas what to do if it happens again?

TFF Stage Crew

I think it's called SPACE>DRUMS:lol
    Maybe a preamp tube? Yes, people that are more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure.

Have a look here:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_hol...resistors.html

You'll get squealing when resistor problems arise.

Or, it could be a microphonic tube:

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/squeal.htm

Have a look at the links and see if anything fits. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I just plain suck at amp diagnostics :).

Tenebrae

71818 picked a dodgy tube as well, that two votes for that then! Try swapping out no. 1 preamp tube first and see if that cures it. Here's hoping!

Tenebrae

"there have always been ghosts in the machine"
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

You got that right, 7. I'm waiting for Jerry to come in with a solo, dripping in delay. :hee

Forum Member

I have no idea what that is, but for God's sake either bring it to a tech or a priest!!! It sure is creepy sounding.

Forum Member

Alright well I just happened upon anotehr problem. My amp completely cut out now. I turn it on the power light still comes on and i can still hear the soft buzz sound of the speaker getting power but no sound from my guitar comes out. My guess is that those "ghosts" were a little warning about things to come. I plugged my guitar in today and strummed one chord then it just cut out. I had the volume on around 3 so its not like i was blasting it.