Thread: bad picking technique?

bad picking technique?

I was just wondering if i have a bad habbit.

What I do when im picking and even sometimes strumming. Is I tend to rest my right hand pinky finger, and my right hand ring finger. against the pic gaurd above the ist string. I was wondering is this normal ? or bad technique i should try to clean up

Re: bad picking technique?

It sure won't help your strumming technique. I have seen a lot of people do that when they solo, but even then it does limit your movement. The wrist needs to be supple and fluid for good strumming technique. Have you tried resting the edge of your palm on the bridge? This creates a good pivot point for your picking and is also immediately moveable when it's time for those big strums.

Without actually seeing you play, it's difficult to tell if there is a problem but I suppose if you're asking the question, you might have an insight into that already.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: bad picking technique?

Like "Chicago" says, It's "a hard habit to break". I do the same thing, but I've been trying to work out of it for strumming. Lead, I still do it so I have a reference point on where the strings are. I'm not comfortable resting my palm on the bridge... unless I'm muting..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama