Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After Five Years Of Ownership...........

Forum Member

Re: After Five Years Of Ownership...........

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond
    That might just be the dumbest statement you've made in 5 years.

So SRV never played Strats.?
    It might be the dumbest statement but then............

.....it might be nice if you would have read the entire first post then you would understand that was only my oppinion. You might have also read that "I" own a couple rosewood Strats myself which I still love dearly. For my ears and my fingers, as sweet as my rosewood guitars may be (and I've got some nice ones), nothing is more true to form and maintains the original feel and concept of the original than a maple board Strat. I was simply curious as to how others felt. Don't get your underwear in a knot (that might hurt your balls):) It's not that serious. It's a matter of individual taste and perception I guess but I prefer the Maple. :)

TFF Stage Crew

... which is why some guitar forums don't even allow maple vs. rosewood threads. Of course we allow 'em, but they're just like those pipes on the Enterprise that Scotty used to work on that were labeled "GNDN."

Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing. :)

Oh yeah, Crazy Diamond... Chill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc

Oh yeah, Crazy Diamond... Chill.
    I'm as cold as ice,and willing to sacrifice. ;)

Now I finally understand that face Fezz, SRV just slipped a disk from the weight of the axe he was slinging.

Forum Member

Interesting that you very often hear the "rosewood is softer than maple" argument. I just read an old Clapton interview where Eric says he prefers maple because it feels softer to him than rosewood.

Obviously, everyone's mileage will vary all over the place on this one.

And I'll offer 2 words in response to the original claim of "it's only a Strat if it has a maple neck" ---> Ronnie Earl.

OK, 4 words ---> Mark Knopfler

Wait, 6 words ---> Robert Cray

...like I said, YMMV... (;^D)

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by bzimm
    Now I finally understand that face Fezz, SRV just slipped a disk from the weight of the axe he was slinging.
    :hee

I don't have a tonal preference, but I like the feel of wood under my fingers, rather than a thick slippery finish. So I tend to prefer rosewood.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I don't think it's the wood type as much as the fact that the maple necks have no seperate fingerboard.......I have played maple necks that did have a seperate board,and they had that rosewood warmth.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

"...Mary had a little lamb
    Its fleece was black as coal, yeah...."

Peace, Bros and Sisters. Make music, not hate. :blbros

To many variables to make any assumption on what makes the strat tone. The brightest guitar I own is a rosewood Warmoth necked guitar with a hardtail string. Scares Telecasters away from the stable...
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Forum Member

To me, NO guitar made differs in tone and feel one from the other than a (vintage) Stratocaster. I'm not gonna discuss the "newer" ones - to me the tone and feel have gotten more and more "homogenous" (or consistent, if you prefer) since the late-'80's. Personally, I prefer the actual tone or sound of a maple neck/ash body in a Stratocaster - I refer to it as the "Buddy Holly Sound". However, I GREATLY prefer the feel of a rosewood 'board with "medium jumbo" or "medium tall" frets - and if I don't like the way a guitar FEELS, then I won't keep it - PERIOD! A maple neck/'board has always felt "gritty" to me, especially when doing bends. The combination of the 7"-ish radius and small frets I find "unplayable" after awhile, too. . .

I've been through more Stratocasters in my life than any other guitar by FAR - probably 50 of 'em. I've found it almost IMPOSSIBLE to settle on the "ultimate" combination of tone from ALL pickup combinations, feel, and look. Finally, I've settled on a January '64 body-only (Seafoam Green) refin, refretted with vintage medium frets. The action is alittle higher than I'd like - will NOT go any lower - just the luck of the draw on THIS guitar; wish it wasn't a refin, but it is. . .But it feels GREAT, looks cooler than shit, and is THE only Stratocaster I've EVER owned that sounded FANTASTIC in each & every pickup configuration. EVERYONE who plays this guitar wants to buy it, so it ain't just me!

To those of you that have "found" your particular Holy Grail Stratocaster - please take a moment to congratulate yourself! This is truly THE hardest guitar to "be happy" with. To those of you that haven't, my advice is that ANYTHING said about the nature of tone and feel regarding Stratocasters should be regarded STRICTLY as "a generality" - if you're stlll searching, play each & every one you can, buy each & every one you think might be "the one", and sell each & every one that AIN'T!! One day you'll get one that ya' just can't part with - THAT one is THE one!!
    Last edited by Joe Ganzler; 07-03-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Photo added

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ganzler
    This is truly THE hardest guitar to "be happy" with.
    While I don't know if you're "right" in the grand scheme, you have echoed my plight exactly. It took me two Teles to find the right size, shape and feel that I love, and only two sets of pickups in each Tele to get a set I'm really happy with for gigging.

I've been through seven Strats and still haven't found "the one" yet. Of course, the journey is more than half the pleasure. :)

If it makes good music I like it ..I could give a ratts ass if it maple or rosewood..

TFF Stage Crew

Re: That Whole Holy Grail Thing

I've posted this pic plenty of times here, & I'll do it again.
    This guitar isn't even a Fender & little of it is still original except for the wood. I've worked on it so much it's like a part of me. It's the first one I reach for (when I'm not playing my Gibsons;) ).
    The funny thing is that I'm not really "head over heels" about this guitar! My favorite style Strat is a rosewood slab, & as far as cosmetics go, I prefer three-tone bursts. But I could never think of getting rid of this one. I could never replace it or get out of it what it is worth to me. The guitar is like family now. It's a great example of that saying, "some guitars just pick you".
    It's just a great player that happens to have a maple neck.

So, 7. Are you into banzai trees? I've noticed a few succulents and desert type trees in the backgound of your guitar pics.

TFF Stage Crew

Actually, right now my other passion is cacti. I can post a few shots of those if you like! I was into Bonsai a few years back, & had a few impressive specimens. An extremely harsh winter put an end to that collection. I'll never seek advice at a Fred Meyer again.

Sure, I'd dig it. And then tell me what to do with this jade plant. About a year ago began to sag. It's been in this pot for about five years and stilll doing well. But I never had many succulents and I don't know what to do with them when they do well. Do I need to make clipping to keep it healthy?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: way, way, WAY off topic

I don't know what to tell you about your jade plant. Most of the ones I've seen that size were in low, wide pots, though. That might help.
    Here are a few of my babies:
    Trichocerus Pachanoi (San Pedro)

Trichocerus Bridgesii

These next two are mutated varieties of T. Bridgesii:
    T. Bridgesii fma. Monstrosus

Man, those are really cool, 7. :yay Oh, and nice strat, too. :lol I have to say, me and this guitar are getting along as well as I could've hoped.

I've loved desert plants since living near in the Four Corners. I have a few succulents as house plants, but I want to make a little shrine-sized desert garden just for to keep me sane. It's good to think of nothing more than plants and rocks sometimes.

I was thinking of a banzai as the centerpiece, but those are ubercool. Where did you get plants of that size?

TFF Stage Crew

The San Pedro was probably purchased at K- Mart. They're not common here in the NW, but you can find them in California nurseries & down in Mexico the stuff is so common they use it to border their property:hee
    Another name for it is Mexican Fencepost.
    The Bridgesii came from a little boutique nursery in downtown Seattle, & the Monstrosus varieties were mail order. They are all perfectly legal to own, but not to eat!

TFF Stage Crew

Best thread hijack ever. This thread was in need of a new direction.

Forum Member

I don't want to wade in on maple vs RW but I will say that good indian rosewood is better than mediocre brazilian in acoustic guitars. And I really doubt good indian RW is any worse than even good braz RW. It's not orange balsawood.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ganzler
    To those of you that have "found" your particular Holy Grail Stratocaster - please take a moment to congratulate yourself! This is truly THE hardest guitar to "be happy" with. To those of you that haven't, my advice is that ANYTHING said about the nature of tone and feel regarding Stratocasters should be regarded STRICTLY as "a generality" - if you're stlll searching, play each & every one you can, buy each & every one you think might be "the one", and sell each & every one that AIN'T!! One day you'll get one that ya' just can't part with - THAT one is THE one!!
    Joe you open up so many areas of conversation but I'll just say this:
    I don't think there is just ONE all encompassing strat. I too have been searching, buying and selling and trying out everything from 66 to 2005 in every sort of variety and quality (US made or CS only btw) and boutiqe brands trying to find 'The ONE'. The present day finds me with about 12 Strats. I've weened off the 'tone dead' ones, yes they do exist are are quite numerous I'm sad to say. But the 12 or so I currently own all are incredible, beautifully playing and sounding instruments, I dont want to part with any. No 2 are alike tonewise, vibewise and playingwise. Similiar yes, but cool variations on a theme. Each one is distinctly Stratocaster but each one different. My point is: that I believe it takes a handful of Strats to come up with the ultimate strat. I don't believe there is just ONE that can be the ONE. I'll leave that honor to the Messiah and the Wife but more than one Strat is the key to sonic strat nirvana!!.
    Last edited by RychusRkr; 07-03-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Forum Member

Well let me add this: There is no way I have tried all the Strats there is to try in my search, never played/owned a pre-CBS or a Masterbuilt Strat for example. A truly thorough search is an extremely expensive proposition reserved for the wealthy or deeply in debt. There may be that ONE out there but for now I'm gonna settle on my very cool collection which includes: a 66 refin, a 76, a few 79s(got some good ones from that era), an 82 smith, a CS classic and a CS players, a 57 and a 62 RI, a 50th anny deluxe and a 04 American Standard(least favorite btw).

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    They are all perfectly legal to own, but not to eat!
    Are they worth eating? :lol

TFF Stage Crew

Shh!

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    Shh!
    Another NAC sacrament?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks