Thread: Fender Tex Mex Pups

Forum Member

Fender Tex Mex Pups

Greetings all,

This is my first post here. Usually hang out over at www.seymourduncan.com so its nice to have another place to talk geetars.

Just picked up a brand new set of Tex Mex Single coil PUPS off ebay for a pretty good price for an upgrade for my Standard Strat. Was wondering if anybody out there has used them and could tell me how they sound? I know their stock on the Jimmy Vaughn strat.

It's unbelievable that no one has responded to you. I have been watching this thread myself because I want to know what the deal is for future purchases...

Forum Member
    Yea its pretty weird nobody has replied to this. Either their hard to find or they just plain stink.

Lucky I got mine on Ebay pretty cheap (set of three for $65.00 new)......

How is it working out? I went for a set of Rio Grande Tallboys and have since put them in 2 of my 3 strats. My next guitar will be a new MIM Sunburst Standard Strat. If the pickups aren't to my liking, I will replace the whole pickguard assembly with one taken out of a Strat Deluxe Plus. I had already replaced the Lace Sensors with Lil'59ners in the neck and middle, and a JB Jr in the bridge. I have a Jap. 72 reissue that has Lil 59's in it.

Forum Member
    I haven't put them in yet. Just haven't had the time but, I've played the Jimmy Vaughn Strat and it had a pretty good tone.

Seems like their a little hotter with a little higher end compared to the Texas Specials PUPs (which I have on my Vintage player strat).

I just bought them for an inexpensive upgrade for my 2000 standard strat.
    Last edited by bearboy; 03-05-2003 at 12:16 PM.

I am going to get a new MIM Strat, put in my Seymours and have at it. That way, I can save a bit of wear and tear on my good stuff. The Standards seem to be put together well, I hear everyone complain about the pickups...

Originally posted by bearboy
    I haven't put them in yet. Just haven't had the time but, I've played the Jimmy Vaughn Strat and it had a pretty good tone.

Seems like their a little hotter with a little higher end compared to the Texas Specials PUPs (which I have on my Vintage player strat).

I just bought them for an inexpensive upgrade for my 2000 standard strat.
    Yo Bearboy:
    Glad to have read your 'mini' review. I'm jonesing for a J.V. Strat (pretty much about the same to the Vintage Player but with maple neck and a different shaped carve on the neck) and I was curious what the difference was on the pickups.

Thanks...I'll have to check it out for sure.

Forum Member

Tex-Mex

I replaced my MIM Standard's ceramic pups with Tex-Mex. I love them. Very nice with a tube screamer (TS-5 modded to TS808 specs with a modification done to the one of the diodes to give sweeter clipping) into my SF champ, or into my solid state Fender. The clean and overdrive are both very nice. I can pretty much nail Stevie (and come close to Jimi) with these pups, if that helps. Their sweet spot is definitely low in the pickguard, so set them flush from the pickguard to start, and raise/lower as needed. They also work very nicely with a booster of some sort into a tube amp (I built myself an Orman Mini-Booster off of the AMZ site, you can also get a kit for this from generalguitargadgets.com) for a nice dirty/sweet blues tone. I'd say that they are close to Texas specials with better clarity and better clean. YMMV.

I want to point out that I didn't really care for Texas Specials all that much and that I feel that my MIM Standard may be of unusually high tonal quality, as it is 500% better than a 95 MIM Standard I used to own (with Texas Specials).
    Last edited by javacody; 03-18-2003 at 07:09 AM.