Thread: Is This Possible?

Forum Member

Is This Possible?

I currently have my Strat wired so that the second tone control adjusts the bridge tone (i.e. the middle p/up has no tone control). As I don't use the middle p/up on its own I want to know if it would be possible to rewire the guitar so that position 3 selects the bridge and neck p/ups in parallel? However, I'd like to keep positions 4 and 2 as they are (i.e. the standard neck/middle and bridge/middle combinations). Can anyone advise me how to do this in some simple steps? Many thanks in advance...

Forum Member

Re: Is This Possible?

You can't do this with a standard Strat switch, but you can with a Superstrat switch. The standard Strat switch is only a DPTT switch (double pole, triple throw) with five positions. Positions 2 and 4 are not discrete positions. Position 2 is the union of positions 1 and 3; and position 4 is the union of positions 3 and 5. Thus, whatever you put in position 3 has to affect what you get in positions 2 and 4.

A Superstrat switch is a 4P5T switch (four pole, five throw). This means each position is discrete. Because the switch has four poles, you can do all kinds of things with it. (A pole is not a lug. A pole is an independent switch. A four pole switch has four, independent switches built into the same switching mechanism. A four pole, five throw switch has four, independent switches, with each switch having 5 discrete positions.)

If you neeed a schematic, the Nashville Tele uses this wiring and a google will yield a copy.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    If you neeed a schematic, the Nashville Tele uses this wiring and a google will yield a copy.
    The American and B-Bender Nashville use a super switch. The MIM Nashville is wired just like a Strat.

If you don't mind having the top tone control as a master tone, this is my favorite way to make this happen. No new switch, just a little re-wiring:

Forum Member

Ok guys, thanks very much for your help. I'll investigate the 4-pole switch. Cheers...