Thread: cryo'ing

cryo'ing

anyone familiar with the benefits of cryo'ing pickups & parts? callaham does this, and i was considering having it done. thanx,

ml
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

Artificial Aging.. Settling..

Cryo'ing Linear Crystal Copper Oxygen Free Copper doesn't do jack. Cryo'ing low grade copper wire will help. Typically, the electronics grade magnet wire is the Oxygen Free stuff. Aging magnets has proven to weaken/age magnets. When cryo'ing magets it makes it so they don't change that much over time. I would be interested in hearing the differences before and after.

I know a couple of horn players who've had their trumpets done and were happy with the results. Supposedly Cryo'ing them relieves residual stress in the brass i.e. when tubing is bent it's under tension on one side, compression on the other. This stress gradually relieves itself over time and supposedly this is one reason horns over 30-35 years old play better than new ones.

Here's a link to the place that did 'em. A web search will probably turn up more. What this does for electronic parts I dunno.... ;)

http://www.thebrassbow.com/brassbw1.htm
    Last edited by Teleologist; 01-30-2003 at 04:02 PM.