Thread: '52 Am Vintage Tele RI

'52 Am Vintage Tele RI

Can anyone tell me why the neck is such a funny color on this one? I put it up on ebay and had a guy try to tell me I changed the neck on it. I got it directly from the Fender Rep in 1998 in late August. What do you guys think?

-Imposter Nick-

looks a bit darker than mine, but mine was made in 2002.

Last edited by Scott_F; 01-28-2003 at 08:49 PM.

Mine is the same way, they used to over do it IMHO up until about 2000. Its no problem, although I do prefer Scott F's neck color than my own.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Scott, yours looks a lot better than mine. I like the lighter necks, they look a lot more authentic. It's rare that you see a real one that tinted, IMHO.

They don't make them in copper anymore either, that's a cool one, blues!

-Imposter Nick-

I agree with you I prefer the lighter tint. I also love the copper color. I might buy a replacement neck for it. Why are you selling it anyways?

Originally posted by bluesgtr20
    I agree with you I prefer the lighter tint. I also love the copper color. I might buy a replacement neck for it. Why are you selling it anyways?
    A couple of reasons:

I've committed to a custom-made instrument with a small builder and I've got a lot of coin left to pay off on it. Two - I'm really jonesing for the relic '59 Esquire that Fender debuted at NAMM. Three - because I really hate the color of the neck! It's always bugged me, and I got a good look at all the custom shop tele's this year at NAMM and they look a lot nicer than this one. I really shouldn't sell it, since it was a birthday present, but I asked permission, so I'm in the clear.

One other thing, I don't know if it's got them or not, but Scott F told me they had some new pickups for these guitars as of late. I don't know for certain, but the pickups in this guitar SMOKE! It's way fat distorted and sounds killer. Almost as fat as my LP!

Basically, I'm just a fickle guitar player! :hee

Last edited by nickvig; 01-30-2003 at 12:05 AM.
    -Imposter Nick-

I think the pup change happened in 98

Scott:

You and I discussed that, but I don't know how to tell if they're different. To be honest, I don't really want to pull the bridge apart anyway. This is sure a ROCK tele, that's all I can say.

-Imposter Nick-

I have had both pups in my tele and I really can only tell the difference in the neck pup. The bridge sounded the same to me. But what do I know