Thread: which Jazzmaster would you buy ??

which Jazzmaster would you buy ??

I'm thinking about buying a Jazzmaster Reissue( not willing(able to spend big$$$ for a vintage or US model)..which would be the ONE..MIJ or CIJ ???
    I read some reviews on harmony central, some say the CIJ made in 2003 are the best..?? usually I tend to think that the earlier MIJ stuff is better..at least thats my experience with Reissue Strats and Teles...
    Advice needed !!!!!!!

Re: which Jazzmaster would you buy ??

I guess this one is out of the question:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/im...125k/index.htm

1957 Fender Jazzmaster ~ The first and only one! This is an incredibly historic instrument. First, it is the ORIGINAL Fender Jazzmaster as made in 1957 (yes, 1957 the year BEFORE it became a model) and was also a proto-type in that it utilizes a vulcanized black fiber fingerboard (that is fully playable) as Fender was considering this as an option to Ebony. This instrument has superb tone ~ and certainly is a “one of a kind” find to the discriminating collector. Those of you not familiar with the history of Fender, might not understand the rarity of this model as Leo Fender was wont to have ALL proto-types destroyed. This guitar escaped that fate as it was in Mr. Fullerton's office. More importantly, this is THE FIRST “Fiesta Red”(originally called “Fullerton Red” after George Fullerton) which started the color for Fender in the 1950's. Mr. Fullerton points out that he hand mixed the colors and then had the guitar spray painted and shown to the marketing/sales department which then adopted the color! So there you have it ~ the FIRST Jazzmaster, the FIRST Fiesta Red, and you can find out more about it George Fullerton's book “Guitar Legends.” This guitar is on consignment from Mr. Fullerton exclusively through Buffalo Bros. ~ sure there are some dings and wear from over the years ~ but this is the ONLY ONE! $125,000.

i have a 97 (or so) MIJ and absolutely love it. it is a bit on the heavy side, but the acoustic resonance of the guitar is unbelieveable. the only thing i would recommend is to change the pups on them. have yet to play a CIJ, but i really love my MIJ and couldn't even think of finding something better. i've played the MIA stuff, but honestly the mine was better than the ones i played. as with anytime you're purchasing a guitar, play them all and find the best one.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

There is no difference, it just changed to Crafted In Japan to enhance the careful craftsmanship instead of giving the impression of mass-made impersonal instruments/cheaper labour. Or something. But no real differences.

It's a common practice amoung many to replace the pickups and electronics on Japanese made Jazzmasters, usually with US made Fenders or Seymour Duncan models. Many players claim that doing this yields a superior instrument for an affordable price. The year doesn't seem to matter much in the equation.

I was lucky enough to find this original '62 in a Pawn Shop about 5 years ago.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Hey Jazzmaster Enthuiasts,

'Am brand new to forum and don't know nothin' or who knows what.

That said, 'bought an OlyWhite MIJ in '95 and really love the instrument (pickguard was replaced with a custom dark tortise because the orig red-tortise looked like plastic pizza-vomit).

To get to the point, this particular mij Jazzmaster compares any day with the finish of MIA ones seen, lately, new in stores. A viable[U] alternative, unless you want the MIA / vintage vibe....

Peace, Bros and Sisters, make music, not hate.