Thread: Twin Reverbs

Forum Member

Twin Reverbs

Are they good for chicken pickin'?

I think my wife is getting me one...
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 01-13-2003 at 11:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    They are one of the best for chickin pickn. Just listin to a Marty Stuart album. It's the only amp the guy uses. Hag, Vince Gill, Stuart Smith, etc........

Forum Member
    Nawww Fender gear sux for chickin pickin'! ;)

Youtell us once you get it. My guess is yes it is.
    :bigal :nelson

Forum Member

WWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

:wah :wah :wah :wah :wah :wah

The amp was actually in the paper Sunday. My wife called me and told me about it yesterday. "Twin Reverb - Excellent Condition" $500.00.

I called the seller and left a message. I got a call from the seller that it had sold. I was and still am very bummed. That's like a dream amp for me.

For any kind of clean pickin' it's hard to beat a Twin Reverb. They have more of eveything(highs,lows, headroom) than you'd ever want to use. They are heavy and they're not bedroom or even good practice amps - is your drywall screwed up instead of nailed ;)

They do need good tubes and speakers and like other BF/SF Fenders if the volume is below 3 they can sound kind of anemic so they're best for moderate to large sized gigs or small clubs with really dead acoustics. Forget distortion, you'll need pedals for that. They don't usually like floor-type multi-FX units either(there is no FX-loop or preamp out/poweramp in jacks).

Re the post about Marty Stuart etc, those guys do use 'em live(Marty uses 2), but for most of the recordings a favorite Nashville amp is a Deluxe Reverb. Marty, Brent, and even Vince use DRs to get their Tele sounds in the studio. DRs can sound very similar at lower volumes that are much easier to record.
    Last edited by Teleologist; 01-14-2003 at 03:28 PM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    My band opened for Marty last summer. He mentioned that he uses Twins to record with (unless I heard him wrong, which I have a tendency to do once in allot:)). I've been using twins for the last 15 years. I find they work great at any volume or room size (I’m talkin the smallest VFW to outdoors playing to 5000 people). I always mic off so I’m never really pushing the amp at all and the tone is wonderful to my ears. I use it with a Fulldrive2 & an old Boss CS2 compressor and find it works great for everything from Don Rich to Blackfoot. I prefer the master volume silver face models but the black faces are superb also.

A Super and a Deluxe are on my wish list though. I dont think there is an old Fender amp I dont like. A friend of mine has a black face Vibroverb with a white basket Altech 15. The thing is insane. Amazing tone.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    And yes, they can bring down some drywall if you feel the need to open it up.

Forum Member
    Thanks guys for all the feedback. My Peavey does sound nice. Maybe I'll quit worrying so much about equipment and shut up and play...

Cheers,
    Butch

I was thinking small clubs or bar gigs where stage volume or volume wars are sometimes a problem for some people... I grew up with a BF Dual Showman(still have it) and there's something about those big transformers, 4 6L6s, JBLs, and feeling the breeze!! :) :) :)

I read 2 different interviews where Marty talked about using DRs for recording. That was back around the time when he was trying to get his tone back after his 2 favorite twins were destroyed in a storm so things may have changed since then. Most of those Nashville pickers keep the cartage company busy hauling a ton of gear around anyway, so what's on any given track can be a guessing game.
    Last edited by Teleologist; 01-15-2003 at 08:53 AM.