Thread: Crack near neck pocket

Crack near neck pocket

Hi all.

Hey, I got this alder Squier Stagemaster (the second type, not the ibanezy ones but the stratty ones), and it has a crack near the neck pocket on the high E side.

The crack grew but the guitar on the whole stayed in tune.

So I am wondering - is it worth me keeping the body, or would it be better for me to get a new body - assuming that the tension of the strings worsens the crack?

My FTP software is busted so I can only describe the crack in words: it forms an arc from the high E side of the pocket to underneath the pickguard on the front.

Any thoughts?

Re: Crack near neck pocket

it probably looks worse than it is. That is a common area for abused Strats to crack. I really only looks bad but doesn't affect the performance of the guitar. I wouldn't sweat it. My Tex Mex Strat has the same crack and it's not a problem.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

A good tech could probably give me an estimate to glue it (and the saying is: correct repairs are stronger than the original) then you can weigh that cost against cost of new body.

I can keep an eye out for a new body also.. I just got one for $15.00, but my wife is turning it into a small table... And the neck into a lamp...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Thanks, gentlemen.

There's really a pretty easy fix for this, but you need the right tools. A small drill, a hypodermic syringe (or glue syringe), some yellow carpenter's wood glue, and a clamp that will span the body.

Remove the neck and locate the crack inside the pocket. Drill a hole as deep as you can lengthwise in the crack from the pocket. Thin some yellow glue with water until it'll go through the syringe (this takes some trial and error, and you're better off with the glue syringe). Stick the needle in the drilled hole as deep as you can and inject the glue, overfilling the hole. Sometimes you can get it to ooze out the crack, sometimes not. Using rags and two small blocks of wood to protect the body, apply pressure to the crack with the clamp. You'll have to figure out where the 'sweet spot' is for clamping. Usually from the top horn to the cracked side of the neck pocket. You may be able to exert a lot of pressure and you may not, but you don't need a lot. Wipe off any excess with a damp rag immediately, let dry over night.

In many cases, the crack won't look much different than it did before the repair, but the glue will do it's job. These types of cracks usually don't open up a whole lot, and what you see is the fractured finish, not the cracked wood. I've repaired a few where you actually have to search to find the crack inside the neck pocket because it was so tight, but the finish looked awful.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Thanks Telecast... Great info!!!
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Cool, telecast. THANKS!!