Thread: 3-way V 5-way p/u switch

Forum Member

3-way V 5-way p/u switch

Hi guys

Has anyone else noticed that you can get 2 cool "out-of-phase" sounds from the old 3-way Strat switches, when the switch is carefully placed between the bridge and middle positions? They are noticeably different because the one nearer the bridge p/u is not effected by the tone knob.
    This means you can actually get 6 different tones with the old "3-way" switch, which I prefer to the newer 5-way switch fitted to modern Strats. Of course, its difficult to select these tones in the middle of a song in a live situation, so many people with older Strats install a 5-way switch, often completely unaware that they will lose a cool tone!

Would any of you purists out there who still have their 3-way switches care to give it a try? Careful jiggling is required!

Mike

Players have been doing that for years so Fender helped them out - the standard 5-way is the same electrically as the 3-way. The only difference is extra 'notches' to mechanically hold the switch in the in-between positions. There's no difference in tone provided the old wiring is used.

Modern Strats have the tone control wired to work for both the middle & bridge PUPs. Older Strats & RIs have no tone control for the bridge PUP, but many players add a jumper to control both like the modern Strats or move the middle tone control to the bridge(doing it that way changes the tone of the n+m position). The tone cap value has also changed over the years going from a .1uF to a .047uF, and a .022uF on the modern Strats.

Forum Member
    Thanx for your reply, but I think you have misunderstood my point- probably my fault!
    I am refering specifically to 2 tones between the bridge and middle p/u's ONLY. (Most players only know of 1). So, in fact, the old 3-way switch with standard wiring has a total of 6 possible tone selections!

OK I see what you're saying. What's happening is the contacts on the side of the switch that controls the PUPs is making contact slightly before the contacts that control connection of the middle PUPs tone control. This wouldn't be common to all 3-ways - which side closes first and how close together they are would be pretty random so some will and some won't(5-ways too).

If you want an easier way to get that sound with or without a 5-way, a delta-tone/no load or push/pull tone pot would do the same thing - B+M/no tone control.
    Last edited by Teleologist; 12-13-2002 at 09:00 AM.