Thread: Which tremolo for my project Strat?

Which tremolo for my project Strat?

I'm puttin' together a Strat copy and I'd like some advice on which tremolo bridge I should use. Should I use the Vintage one or the one with two studs and the push in arm?

I like the cool vintage look but I had a Strat before that I stripped the threads on the tremolo block.

What do you all think?

A vintage style bridge would be best...........Callaham guitars sells bridges to exact vintage specs along with some slight improvements.........These bridges are excellent quality...

http://www.callahamguitars.com/

Forum Member
    You can't beat Leos original design IMHO

Watto

Forum Member
    I'm also putting a strat (back) together.

One more avenue for you to look at, perhaps-how about an LR Baggs X-bridge, traditional-style.

wemedge

Style?

Probably most important is how you will use the one you pick.

If you are a mild trem user or a non-trem user, the 6-screw Callaham is the best there is, but be warned: if you use this trem on extreme moves with a regular nut and a string tree and regular Kluson type tuners, you WILL have tuning troubles.

If you are a dive bomb EVH-type tremmer (down only), you need a Floyd and either a locking nut or a roller nut and some good locking tuners.

If you are a big time UP tremmer, you need a recessed Floyd and a locking nut or a roller nut and locking tuners.

If you are just imitating an American Standard, buy the Fender 2-stud. Leo was trying to cure tuning trouble with this design, but unless you address the headstock parts it's no better than the 6-screw IMO. The best thing it does (for some players) is move the strings a little closer together. Of course, unless you install Kinman pickups with the narrow spacing on the neck pickup's polepieces, or Bardens or some other blade style, your (narrower) 2-stud will result in grossly misaligned neck pickup polepieces and dropouts when you play on that pickup and bend the E string....

Last edited by LA Bob; 09-26-2002 at 03:42 AM.

You wont have tuning problem's if you file the ruff area's of you nut and saddles and then lube well. Go with a vintage type trem you can do dive bomb's all you want and stay in tune. EVH used the old style trem's the only reason he went out of tune is becuse he probably did not lube any thing. Vasaline with pencil lead work's great.
    Im the silent one

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

Re: Which tremolo for my project Strat?

Originally posted by Stratoblaster

I like the cool vintage look but I had a Strat before that I stripped the threads on the tremolo block.

What do you all think?
    If you decide on a vintage trem, keep in mind you can usualy replace the block cheap if you have that problem again.

Forum Member
    go with a bigsby, that`s what I just put on my strat.

b. different

Forum Member
    I mentioned this in the Floyd thread, but if a trem is setup properly it won't matter too much. I am a Floyd guy, but I have a strat with the American Standard bridge, sperzels and a roller nut. It wouldn't stay in tune until I set it to float a bit. Now it is very solid. The only thing I don't like is the screw in arm and the play in the arm. I will probably replace it with a similiar trem by Mann Made with pop in arm.
    Huh?!

Get a vintage style trem from Allparts. The steel block is an extra $20 or so. I believe total price is $40 or $50 and Gotoh makes it.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 01-28-2003 at 12:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Last edited by LiquidStrat; 12-13-2002 at 11:19 AM.

How much difference is there between a gotoh made trem with a steel block and the callaham? Is there a big functional and sound difference? I hear everyone raving about these callahams, but I don't know if I want to shell out the 95 bones for a callaham if I can get something of comparable quality for half that. (call me cheap)

Forum Member
    Spacing is a huge consideration in my book. Most vintage style trems are 2 3/16' c-c , which puts your e strings close to the edge. I prefer a 2 1/8" spacing, but thats my opinion. A trem I've seen that sounds good and offers this spacing for a 6 hole, even as a retrofit, is the Wilkinson VSV.

I've actually refretted a coupla 70s Strats because the spacing was so wide and the fret ends were rounded over so much that the owners had trouble playing 'em. The technique with which you approach the guitar should dictate your hardware and other choices.

Some food for thought. Good luck and have fun!