Thread: White Blonde

White Blonde

Does anyone know if Fender's white blonde finish is semi-transparent, i.e. you can see the real wood grain underneath, or is the wood grain simulated in the finish?

I've got a White Blonde Fat Tele that reveals the grain of the ash body - but you have to look closely under bright light to see it. When I ordered the guitar, I expected the wood grain to be more evident, but it ends up being almost a see-thru Olympic White.
    Fender does not paint wood grain on their guitars, although there was a limited time in the mid-90s' when they offered 'foto-flame' finishes. This was essentially a photograph of flamed maple laid over and clearcoated on the body and neck. They came out pretty darn good, as a matter of fact.

Forum Member
    The transparent white finish is available from Guitar Re-Ranch if your in the mood to apply it . http://www.reranch.com

Swamp ash takes quite a bit of sealer so be prepared .
    Last edited by James Tonguet; 11-18-2002 at 12:31 PM.

If i recall correctly ( I DO I DO!!!) the Foto-Flames were on imports only. just sayin!!

regards,
    rob

White blonde is one of my favorite finishes in a tele, I too wish it was a little bit more transparent
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

It's transparent. The grain appears to be almost a light gray. Really nice looking,

Originally posted by Uncle rob-Fender
    If i recall correctly ( I DO I DO!!!) the Foto-Flames were on imports only. just sayin!!

regards,
    rob
    Foto Flame is a proprietory process of Fujigen Gakki, one of the
    co-owners of Fender Japan ( they also make Ibanez guitars, among others); it only appears on guitars made in Japan at the
    Fujigen plant.

The French have Jerry Lewis, the Japanese have Foto Flame

Forum Member

It Really Depends

I'm speaking mainly of the MIM 50's models. I've seen them almost transparent to almost opaque where you can't hardly see any grain. I like them in the middle somewhere.

Forum Member
    Perhaps, the see through thing may also change with the age of the guitar?

Went looking for a white blonde Tele this spring while in NY. Most I came across were very white and very little "see through". I finally found one which was a little darker and with the wood structure showing through in more grayish tones. Just like what I wanted. It proved to be a '99 (telling from neck serial number), and perhaps had stood unsold in the shop for a couple of years. Why I don't know, it plays great (perhaps best I've got) and there were no signs of wear, so for practical purposes it was unused. Anyway, I bought it at the old price.

Changing the pickguard (wanted tortoise), I noticed it was a lot whiter underneath that than at the exposed parts. So this I why I wonder if see through is somewhat an aging thing. Or else the newer models are less see through than they used to be.