Thread: First Post DiMarzio V V Heavy Blues

First Post DiMarzio V V Heavy Blues

Hi all, great forum. I've been lurking for a week or two, but it's time to ask a question. Hope I can also contribute to some of the other treads from time to time.

I'm at a crossroards with my '95 American Standard. I currently have the DiMarzio VV Blues in the neck, and the Heavy Blues in the bridge, with a stock single coil in the middle. I'm gonna replace the middle pickup, but the way my switch is setup I never use the middle pickup alone. Position three on my switch is a psuedo Tele sound using the neck and bridge pu's together.

I considered buying an RWRP middle pu, which would likely be the most economical, and the least wasteful solution. I find it hard to justify buying a great pu to just fill in on quack sounds. Trouble is, I'm also thinking of moving the Heavy Blues into the middle, and replacing it with a VV Solo. I love the definition of the Heavy Blues, but it just doesn't have the ooomph I'd like for hard rock.

I can probably find a home for the Heavy Blues in the neck position of another guitar, but perhaps the best and ultimately cheaper solution is to leave it on the guitar. Any thoughts...

You could also buy a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 (which is a humbucker). I have one in the bridge of my strat and I love it. It's the shape of a singlecoil so you won't need to route or buy a new pickguard. It was also made to be used with 250k pots so you won't need to buy 500k pots--which are usually used with humbuckers. All I have to say is that it ROCKS and handles distortion VERY well. It seems that even when I go overboard on the distortion it still holds up great. I've talked to other people about the Lil 59, who also have it in the bridge, and I've never heard a bad comment or complaint about its tone. The only thing you be wondering about is quack. Well the quack sound is much thicker (obviously) which I don't particularly like--some people do though. So I ordered a push-pull pot for my guitar. The way mine is set up is when the pot is pushed in, the p-up is wired in parallel (more of a single-coil/P-90 sort of sound but still totally quiet) and when I pull the pot out it sets the pup in series (which is how normal humbuckers are wired). I like to think of it as a boost switch. But when the pup is in parallel I get all the "Sweet Home Alabama/Life in the Fast Lane" quack I can handle in position two. I really enjoy the flexibility of this setup and will keep it that way until I buy an actual Les Paul. Hope I helped.