Thread: Bass tabs

Bass tabs

Granted, I'm a newbie. But last night RC casually handed me 2 different sets of bass tabs for a Nora Jones song that his jazz band is starting work on.

They were VERY different. I have small hands and am used to keyboards so fingering is not a problem but stretching/sliding is so I used and even modified the tab that used all the strings but stayed in a smaller area rather than running up and down the neck. Do you guys have a preference? Remember me? I use a short scale bass to adhere to my small hands and arms.

On a different thought, I surprised myself in learning the song well enough to actually play it with RC in about an hour. He's been prodding me that I know more musically with so many years on the piano and can transpose it to the bass but I guess I'm a little gunshy and especially don't want to impose "the wife" on any of his jams
    They're REAL anyway.....

Re: Bass tabs

huh..huh..huh....she said "prodding"
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

I can certainly see the value of sliding up and down the neck. I love how Roger Waters plays a lot of sliding type lines - listen to Hey You for an example. But, if you can't do it....don't Play the right notes, and play them like you mean it. This will bring out your own personality on the instrument, and that is always a good thing.....

I am more and more pleased with the tone I'm getting from my little Bronco. She may be a little pony but she tries.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Cool! So, when do we get to hear her?

Hear her? Hmm.

Well, we're not set up to record, but anyone's welcome to drop by and jam. RC has a music room. Just ask Tele-Bob. Its a constant work in progress but its a labor of love.

If I can ever get employed and out of this hole again, a decent bass amp would be nice but for now, RC's accoustic amp will suffice.

Back to the bass tabs, do you guys even use them anymore or is it just us newbies? Go ahead. You won't hurt my feelings, cause I'm secure enough musically in other instruments.
    They're REAL anyway.....

When I was a kid I took piano lessons, but had a real hard time reading music. When I started playing bass and then guitar I entirely went around reading any type of notation and learned to play by ear. During the shredder years of the 80's I figured out tab because it was everywhere, but it took me a long time- it really was easier by ear and ironing out problem spots with tab. I'm still musically illiterate.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I'm a newbie too. I get my bass tabs here - LINK

Remember that they aren't always right, but they'll get you in the ball park.

I guess what drives me nuts is that there are absolutely no timing marks on tabs. I read music fairly well since I've played piano and taught. The funny thing is I have problems reading guitar chords. I can read tabs or I'm learning to read bass tabs ok but I seem to run into a mental block with guitar chords.

I think it runs back to how we were first taught music. Kinda like the foundation that a house is built. No matter how you add on to the house, the foundation is still there and doesn't change unless you really dig it out.

I've got some digging to do. :wail2

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the bass tabs?
    They're REAL anyway.....

Forum Member

You are. If you already know how to read bass clef, you're set as far as sheet music goes. Just learn the names of the notes on the fretboard.

-a
    Real Porsches have four cylinders.

(sticks his tongue out at Mr.LivingInParadiseAndDrivingAcoolVintagePorscheAn dProbablyTeachesHotHighSchoolChicksWhenNotPlayingA CoolBass)
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motojunkie
    I love how Roger Waters plays a lot of sliding type lines - listen to Hey You for an example......
    I seem to recall David Gilmour taking very public credit for playing this bass line while pouring scorn on the idea that Roger Waters would be able to play fretless bass, but I agree that is one brilliantly sympathetic piece of bass playing that "sits" just perfectly within the song.

Sorry for the confusion.....I just assumed it was Waters.