Thread: Saddles......Grrrrrr

Saddles......Grrrrrr

I hate when this happens......

The saddle posts stripped and the damn things will not adjust. they look all knock-knee'd and pidgeon toed........

I know I might as well replace them, but Why........why does this seem to happen ? Its a screw in a threaded piece of metal (with load albeit).

I had this thing almost where I wanted it.....and then.....everything went out. I think the g and b are beat.

If I replace the MIM saddles does it matter if I use MIA or do I need to keep with the MIM due to spacing issues?

I just want to make it right.....

Thanks

FJ

FJ

Re: Saddles......Grrrrrr

If you always remember to adjust the saddles with no or very little tension on the strings the posts wont ever strip. WHat makes them strip is adjusting them when the guitar is tuned up to E.

What model MIM do you have if its a standard and a few years old you might have to replace them with a special size for the spacing differences if its a newer one or a classic series you can probably replace them a little easier.

I've never stripped them I and I adjust them with full tension and I do it almost with every string change... Just seems odd to me... sorry.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I had already reaplced a single, and with two more damaged, I see no need to waste the effort. I will probably replace all 6 with stock type saddles.

Marcondo, I had always adjusted under tension, and that may have done them in...

I purchased the axe used so its hard to tell what they had done before too.......

Thanks -

FJ

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    I've never stripped them I and I adjust them with full tension and I do it almost with every string change... Just seems odd to me... sorry.
    The threads are harder to strip but if you get a leg crooked its easy. Whats easy to strip when the strings are under tension is the allen head part where the wrench makes contact with the saddle. THose can easily loose their edges and become a big circle and the wrench cant grab anything to turn.

I got this screwdriver specifically for Fender saddles. You can still strip them out if you lean on them to hard. The Japanese and Mexican ones strip easier than the American ones. http://www.callahamguitars.com/
    sells some real good saddles, that are a lot stronger.

Precision Height Adjustment Screw Driver. It is hard to keep up with the small .050 allen wrench so we have a very nice driver that can be kept in your guitar case. Tip is heat treated and hardened. Made in Germany. The .050 fits standard #4-40 set screws common in American made strat styled guitars.
    RnB
    Last edited by RnBGuitars; 11-15-2004 at 06:55 PM.

If you order new saddles, I agree with RnB...go to Callaham. I'm replacing my trem block and ordering new saddles from them soon...I have confidence in the folks that have recommended them here at the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcondo
    The threads are harder to strip but if you get a leg crooked its easy. Whats easy to strip when the strings are under tension is the allen head part where the wrench makes contact with the saddle. THose can easily loose their edges and become a big circle and the wrench cant grab anything to turn.
    Ok, that makes sense. The threads don't strip, its the allen head..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama