Thread: Can You Help Me Out?

Forum Member

Can You Help Me Out?

Hello everyone. I've just got some Custom Shop '69 pups to replace the units currently in my guitar and have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me out on. Firstly, is there a specific neck, middle or bridge pickup or doesn't it matter what position I put the pickups in? Secondly, there's a small imperfection on one of the pole-pieces (see picture in link). Is that supposed to be there? Is that anything to worry about? Just wanna make sure so I can exchange them if necessary before it's too late! Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Picture

Re: Can You Help Me Out?

The hottest p'up goes in the bridge spot, and the lowest output p'up goes in the neck spot. Seeing as how they're '69 p'ups I doubt there's a difference in the pole pieces for string spacing.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Don't worry about the imperfection.. it looks like a bubble. They coat the poles.. I think .. I have some that are chipped and they work fine.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

Most of the custom shop pickups are marked on the base, if only one is marked then thats the bridge and the other two dont matter. If all three are marked and you dont have the key that decodes it then pop over to Mr Gearhead on the fender homesite (in resources......I think) and they have an article on fitting new pickups which, if I remember, decodes it. As far as the imperfection goes, dont worry, they coat the polepieces in parafin when they wax dip the pickups if I'm remembering right, quite often there will be bubbled or chips in this, it has no effect on the tone.

the bubble's fine, the wax had a bubble in it when they dipped that pup.

the mid should be rwrp. you'll be able to tell cause one of the pups will have its lead wires backwards from the others (i.e. white will be on the left side of two of them, but on one it'll be on the right. or vice versa)

if you don't have a multimeter to read them, i'm sure a local amp tech or guitar tech would measure them for you for free. most guys are pretty cool about that.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Hey. Thanks for all your responses. Very helpful, ta. The hottest pickup is the one which gives the highest DC resistance reading on the multimeter, is it? :)

Forum Member

To answer my own question, I've just read that measuring the DC resistance is sometimes no proof of pickup output (i.e. two pickups can have the same DC resistance but different outputs). Measuring DC resistance did seem kinda strange to me as pickups are clearly AC current devices but measuring AC voltage output from uninstalled pickup isn't going to happen (or is it?). So let me rephrase my question... can DC resistance determine (or give indication of) which is the hottest pickup out of my three pickups of the same manufacture 'spec'?

What I've said (and read) may be a load of BS so you've been warned!

BTW, what does the inductace reading tell you? (...and don't say 'the inductance'!)

However, I guess I won't be measuring that on my cheapo multimeter.

Can anyone shed some light?

All the sets I've put it, the higher resistance has been the bridge. I just installed a set of CS 54's and the bridge was marked but also ohmed out higher.

I've put in quite a few sets of different pickups and it's been the same with them.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

photo is right, dc resistance isn't always the same as volume. but if you are measuring pups from a set (like your cs 69's) it is a pretty safe bet that the higher reading pup is the bridge. when you start mixing and matching type and brand of pups is when the dc reading isn't always an indicator.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Fish
    BTW, what does the inductace reading tell you? (...and don't say 'the inductance'!)

However, I guess I won't be measuring that on my cheapo multimeter.

Can anyone shed some light?
    This is a topic that usually drives me crazy. DC resistance is only useful when comparing the same type of pickup (CS 69's etc.). Inductance is the bottom line...

OTM explains inductance

Forum Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up guys. :)

Forum Member

Just to clear up the thread. It appears the middle isn't RWRP. Well, at least none have the leads reversed. Two of the p'ups measure ~5.5k and one measures ~5.6k. It says 5.8k on the box - I've been had! :)

I didn't think the true vintage p'ups were RWRP.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

fezz parka

Right you are Bob! In fact, I think the 2 and 4 positions sound better (quacky-er) with a standard (non RWRP) pickup. RWRP cancels hum and quack too.

If I remember correctly the '69's are the ones signed by Abigail Ybarra.

All three are the same and should measure approx 5.8k.

The 57/62's are very close except they measure approx 5.6k.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

Jim, yes, you're right, they're initialed and dated on the bottom by AY.

One more thing. Fezz, why does that topic drive you crazy? Because it's a common misconception, or that it keeps coming up, or trying to get your head round the physics of it?

Just curious! Laters...