Thread: Sudden VOX wah pedal failure....

Gravity Jim

Sudden VOX wah pedal failure....

I don't use a wah often, and when I do it's for "vintage" sounds, or as a foot-operated tone control/filter (leaving it in one spot most of the tune, that is). And when I replaced a Dunlop CryBaby a few years ago with a Vox 847, I was really pleased.... the Vox had a better "vintage-y" kind of tonal range, and it was WAY quieter than the CryBaby, which was pretty noisy from the beginning.

After not using the Vox for a couple months, I plugged it in the other day, and it is now suddenly produing a ton of self-noise... raspy, AM radio static-y junk. I checked the battery and it's putting out 8.8 volts... I swapped some cables and that doesn't seem to be it (unless I swapped them for cables that were also bad).

Any guesses from those who know about these units?

fezz parka

Re: Sudden VOX wah pedal failure....

Put in a brand new battery. Seriously.

Gravity Jim

Even though the old one looks fine on the meter?

Well, okay... actually, I figgered you'd have the solution, Fezz......

Yeah. Like the Fezz sez, I'd try a new battery, though 8.8 volts would be passable in most pedals. Beyond that it's hard to say. Maybe there's a bad power connection. I hate to suggest it but you're sure you had the in in and out out, right?

TFF Stage Crew

I'd try the batt also, mine was really fussy until I wired it in through my PedalPower.

Also, the stock 1P1T swiches in those are pretty crappy. On good stomp and you could weaken a solder point. I strongly recommend ordering a Fulltone 3PDT switch from Stew-Mac or whoever. Gives you true bypass, which is great, but is also far sturdier, IMO.

Gravity Jim

Cool! Thanks for the additional info, ya'll. I like the sound of this unit a lot, and I've gotten used to using it, so i dont' want to replace it. if I can make it better, I'm happy to oblige....

TK, I checked that. :) Because your'e right, it's so easy to do....

Forum Member

I have a bypass-modded 847, as well as a gain mod, and its a great sounding wah, for the $$$. Lots of guys spend big bucks on wahs, and an 847 with $15 bucks worth of modding,is as close to vintage as yer gonna get, and plentyful to boot.

CT.

I tend to agree with that, CocoTone. Not only vintage sounding but good vintage sounding. I have heard some great sounding wahs but they were the $200 kind and that's OK if you got money to burn but too rich for my blood.

I've had the same Vox Clyde McCoy since '68 and though it got a bit of hiss it's never failed to do the job. The new Vox 847 sounds very close and pretty quiet too.