Thread: Wah location in your chain ...

Wah location in your chain ...

Current board:

Guitar -> 535Q -> OD-3 -> SD-1 -> DS-1 -> ED-1 -> Amp

I was thinking the wah should go before the distortion/OD's and Compressor. However, it looks likeseveral folks I have read put i last in their chains. Is this where most people put it then?
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Re: Wah location in your chain ...

yes, last in the change. Otherwise it's modulation changes get washed out by all the other pedals.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I've always had a quandry with wah and OD. There are things I like about wah prior to drive and things I like about wah after drive. Maybe I just need two wah pedals?

i put mine first. i find if i don't it sounds weak.

or two dist pedals curtis, or both. :hee
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew

Always first. Well, almost first. My compressor is actually first for reasons of layout on my board, but it doesn't matter because I never use both at the same time. It's definitely before my overdrive & time effects.

I can't afford me a decent compressor right now. And I'm not going to get a crappy one only to have to upgrade later.

But I'm thinking that if I had one, I'd run like so: wah -> compressor -> overdrive.

My wah seems to be hard to tame when I run it prior to the drive. It gets shrill and has some unpleasantly spiky volume at the top end of the sweep. Doesn't seem to be such a problem after the drive. I figger a good compressor could make for a more even signal leaving the wah.

Does this sound reasonable? Anyone here tried that?

i kinda goofed, my pedal inputs go

tuner (hooked into a bypass box), keeley comp, vox wah, dist pedal, modulation effects.

the comp is always on, but set real low. it evens everything out a little.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I played around some and like the Wah first, the ED-1 last and the OD and Distortion between. It is working great for me.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    I played around some and like the Wah first, the ED-1 last and the OD and Distortion between. It is working great for me.
    One thing you'll need to watch out for by putting the ED last is that a compressor amplifies everything before it, so it will amplify line noise from pedals in front of it. That's why most people put the comp first and wah second, then overdrive, modulation, and time effects after. That way you're giving the comp the cleanest and least-noisy signal, then the wah is sweep-filtering frequencies, then you're overdriving the signal next. Yes, to put the wah later should result in more mild-mannered wah sweeps, but then that's not the sound most of us are actually used to.

I think SRV used to go into his Fuzz Face first (the germanium transistors liked to see the pickup signal before the wah, for the best sound) then his Vox wah, and then the TS-9 and/or octavia and/or univibe. However, I could be wrong about that, not exactly sure. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

fezz parka

This is how I do it: wah----->Tubescreamer----->DynaComp.

This is how it sounds on an old recording of mine: Jimithang

TFF Stage Crew

Fantastic Fezz. Really great.

My only question about that particular effect order is this: Don't you get HORRIBLE hiss when not playing, since the comp would be compressing (and/or boosting) the hiss from everything before it in the chain, in this case your engaged TS-9?

The one time I tried my Dyna near the end of my chain, that's what happened to me. But it's sure hard to argue with the great sonic results of that clip. :yay. Just curious...

fezz parka

Thanks for the nice words, pc. As far as the hiss goes you're right. I just click everything on and off as needed. Since I don't use any time based effects in my chain, (I added the delay and reverb) I like the way the compressor smooths everything out when placed last in the chain.

TFF Stage Crew

Gotcha. Thanks--I learned something new today.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Thanks for the nice words, pc. As far as the hiss goes you're right. I just click everything on and off as needed. Since I don't use any time based effects in my chain, (I added the delay and reverb) I like the way the compressor smooths everything out when placed last in the chain.

This is what I like as well. Also, I use very low settings on several pedals to build incrementally, so there is not a lot of nose to begin with form me. I like the OD-3 into the SD-1 and then the compressor for example. It has a nice feel to it. I also do some clean stuff that the compressor is the only thing on. It is most commons that I use the OD-3 into the ED-1.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle
    One thing you'll need to watch out for by putting the ED last is that a compressor amplifies everything before it, so it will amplify line noise from pedals in front of it. That's why most people put the comp first and wah second, then overdrive, modulation, and time effects after. That way you're giving the comp the cleanest and least-noisy signal, then the wah is sweep-filtering frequencies, then you're overdriving the signal next. Yes, to put the wah later should result in more mild-mannered wah sweeps, but then that's not the sound most of us are actually used to.

I think SRV used to go into his Fuzz Face first (the germanium transistors liked to see the pickup signal before the wah, for the best sound) then his Vox wah, and then the TS-9 and/or octavia and/or univibe. However, I could be wrong about that, not exactly sure. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Thats the most effective order.

CT. :yay

I put my wah later in the chain based on what was doing what. I've never experimented with the wah first, but I kinda figured that I'd rather apply wah to the distorted signal as opposed to distorting the wahed signal. Make sense?
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Wah, TS-9, Aqua Puss, Deja Vibe, Choral Flange.

TFF Stage Crew

Dang, Fezz! I've had that cut looped for about fifteen minutes now. You make me want to play! I gotta get hooked up for jamming in the Zone!

I always have it first. I use it more for a filter these days.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Forum Member

When playing live, aways first. Otherwise, almost always first :), but there are times it can be advantagous to put it behind e.g. a fuzz.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    Dang, Fezz! I've had that cut looped for about fifteen minutes now. You make me want to play! I gotta get hooked up for jamming in the Zone!
    You still got that Digi001 lying around? Hook it up!

TFF Stage Crew

It's hooked up & I'm laying tracks down, but to jam online is more trouble than I can figure out right now. I'm on the internet w/my PC, & all my music stuff is on my G4. So I would have to download jam tracks on the PC & burn them to CD, take them to my Mac & lay down my stuff, & then burn it to CD again & then upload it back onto the net through my PC.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    It's hooked up & I'm laying tracks down, but to jam online is more trouble than I can figure out right now. I'm on the internet w/my PC, & all my music stuff is on my G4. So I would have to download jam tracks on the PC & burn them to CD, take them to my Mac & lay down my stuff, & then burn it to CD again & then upload it back onto the net through my PC.
    That's what I do. :hee (And yes it is a pain.)

TFF Stage Crew

Wireless network baby!

I'm wirelessly linked to my LAN/cable modem at home on my laptop, where I play on TFF, etc. When my ProTools system was still working, I'd then carry my laptop downstairs and hook up the 002R and go to town.

However, when PT went south, I just wirelessly send the backing track from my laptop to my old audio computer downstairs in the studio. With an 11g network, transfering an MP3 file of the size we use in TFF/LPF jams takes about 8 seconds.

Run downstairs, fire up Cubase, and away we go.

fezz parka

What happened to the PT rig?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    What happened to the PT rig?
    Freakin Windows SP2 update.

Linky to yesterdays discussion...

About 3/4 down the first page...

fezz parka

Bummer. :nay

Can you put it on the other Cubase machine?

TFF Stage Crew

No, the Cubase machine is Win98 (and not even M.E.). That's the reason I did the upgrade to begin with. The Cubase system actually works really well, it's just that it's about 6 years old now.

I'm gonna try the partition thing first to see if SP1 on a different partition will work. Things don't look good for Digi to fix it anytime soon; apparently they've been trying to get SP2 to work with PTLE for at least 6 months. Not promising.

If the partition idea fails, I'm left with buying yet another machine (:bam), although I probably could build my own AMD machine like the PT-heads on the DUC forum all rave about for fairly cheap.

Or, maybe just sell the whole works and buy another Tele.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Jack w/his radar
    ...Or, maybe just sell the whole works and buy another Tele.
    I still run Win98 on both the work and home machines. But, I do most of my work in Vegas and ACID.

And...you can't have enough Teles.

TFF Stage Crew

(Wow have we hijacked this thread :hee )

So you use ACID on W98? Maybe I should find a used version of that somewhere and throw it on the 98 machine.

A friend of mine (really generous bloke ) sent me a whole mess of Acid loops, and it'd be great to use them in conjunction with the Cubase system too.

I use my Danowah after my Boss CS3, but before my PH3, then my Bespeco volume pedal into my DigiDelay.
    But really, use your ears to decide..."one man's treasure can be another man's junk".

I have always put my SD-1 before my Vox wah in the chain. It sounds too darn good to try it any other way. :ahem
    So much talk about the USB port, what state is it in?

Forum Member

Guitar>Strobostomp>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Barber Tone Press>Fulltone Fat Boost>Fulltone FD2>Fulltone Choralflange>Fuchs ODS 50 watt head and 1x12 cabinet.