Thread: Cutting a new pickguard out of wood

Forum Member

Cutting a new pickguard out of wood

Hi there new to this forum.....

Alright...
    I have a strat that needs a new pickguard... unfortunately the body has some extra routing to accommodate some vintage lipstick pickups... well I'm ready for some more "standard" pickups again.... needless to say the standard pickguard will not cover all of the route.... so...

Since this guitar has the boat route +... it almost has a chambered sound to it... so to take advantage of this I'm flirting with the idea of getting some solid soundboard material... (as in acoustic guitar top) to make the pickguard.....

I plan on using the custom guard with the lipsticks as a template... I'm just curious what soundboard wood is like to work with.....

what is the best way to cut this material.... or what would be your best advise on the subject...

Thanks, Rob
    Have guitar will travel

Forum Member
    Cut it oversize a bit with a band saw or jig saw. Next, tape it to the pattern guard using double sided tap and use a drum sander to bring it down to the exact shape of your template. Use a fairly fine grit sanding drum and keep it perpendicular to the edge while sanding. Once the shape is done you can lightly sand a little bevel on the edge for a clean look.

Forum Member
    Hey BlackRose,
    I was thinking along those lines.... just needed some confirmation.... I'm great with electronics, but not too much experience with wood working...

Thanks!
    Have guitar will travel