Thread: Albert Collins model

Forum Member

Albert Collins model

Has anybody played this model? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I'm thinking hard about buying one, but I can't get my local music store to bring one in just for me to try out.

I played one some years ago and they may have changed it since then. It had a beautiful ash body finished in clear with white binding. The neck was a medium thick U-shape finished in catalyzed poly with a 9.5" radius and vintage frets(the hard slick C.S. neck). I believe it had a Texas Tele bridge PUP and a Duncan '59 neck PUP with 3-way switching. It did all those Tele with neck bucker sounds just fine and although I didn't buy it at the time, it was in my mind when I got the Zebra Tele(a CS ash/maple blackguard Tele with a cream/black exposed coil Duncan '59 neck bucker). IMHO a nice bright ash/maple Tele is a great match for a neck bucker - keeps it from getting too muddy when the neck PUP is used alone.

Forum Member
    Did Albert ever use the neck pup alone? I think I read somewhre that he used the bridge pup most of the time by itself.

No, there's that neck 'bucker all over Albert's recordings...
    Regards, Dave Orban

Teleologist has most of it right. I have a 1996 CS Albert Collins. The bridge pickup is not a Texas Special- more like a real mid '60s Tele. Not as thick, and a little more strident top end. The classic "cutting" tone comes to mind for it. The humbucker is open to debate- supposedly, it's a custom wound Seymour Duncan, and obviously patterned after Albert's. They sound wonderful by themselves and wonderful together- a very nice combo. The Albert tones are in this guitar. My favorite part about it is how light it is. You could strap this one on for 4 sets a night, and never have any shoulder/back problems. kazmo, let me know if you want to find out any more about them.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by mattb
    Did Albert ever use the neck pup alone? I think I read somewhre that he used the bridge pup most of the time by itself.
    Originally posted by professor
    No, there's that neck 'bucker all over Albert's recordings...
    I don't mean to argue with the professor, but I saw an interview with Albert where he said he hardly ever used the neck pickup. Could be he was referring to performing... people do lots of things in the studio they would never do on stage. Anyway, I distinctly remember him saying that he used the bridge pickup most of the time.

It hardly matters, of course. Collins' sound came from his unique approach, his unusual tuning, his picking style, his amp, his fingers, and his overall frosty Albert-ness.