Thread: Pre CBS Duo Sonic

Pre CBS Duo Sonic

Old Tele man
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-16-2004 at 09:40 AM.

Re: Pre CBS Duo Sonic

FLIPPIN' HECK!!!

Yikes.... Thanks Ole Tele Man. I owe you a beer!!

Looks like Tommy at USACG is getting another vote!

Aren't all Duo II's CBS? So far the going price on that auction is in line with what most vintage dealers are asking for here ($600-$800), fwiw. I think the prices on 'em have been a bit high for a while, but they're still one of my faves.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tele man
    that's NOT a 'pre-'64 DuoSonic!...the early (Fender era) models had a one-piece pickguard and chrome 'Tele-like knobs...the chrome-control plate came during the CBS-era ('65-'85)...and used the black, Coronado-style knobs!

Somebody either doesn't know their facts, or is trying to "blow smoke"...watch out either way!
    They did make some Duo-Sonic II's in 1964. I have one that has one pickup dated the last week of December '64 and one dated the first week of January '65. And, obviously, this one for sale was made in September of '64.

Pre-CBS or not, they still only made the Duo-Sonic II's for about a year, so that does make them kinda cool. I love mine (I have 2). Like a Mustang that stays in tune better.

They're kinda weird too...like they were thrown together with whatever Fender had laying around. My red one (the one with the '64 and '65 pickups) has a slab fingerboard, clay dot markers and a shorter scale. My natural one (it was red at one point, but was refinished natural) has a longer-scale neck and the neck has an incredible flame on it. Pickups sound really different as well.

Anyway, if that guitar was local and reasonable, I'd probably want to get it. Not many of 'em around.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Old Tele man
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-16-2004 at 09:41 AM.

Scott...you'd better hang onto those guitars as they're NOT listed in any of the Fender Price Lists nor in any of the Fender books...and I (Fender Tech) didn't see any until 1966...especially with the "metal" control plates!
    Here's some pics of mine. There are more pics of the natural one than the red one (the one with the '64 and '65 pickups, clay dots, slab fingerboard, etc.), but hopefully, I'll have more pics of the red one up soon.

My Duo-Sonic II's

- Scott.

Old Tele man

sorry, but if that's a pix of your Duo-Sonic (can only see part of pix) the "large" headstock says it's NOT a 1964-1965 model guitar...it wasn't introduced until 1966....
    Well, all I can tell you is what I saw when I took off the pickguard after I bought it (the red one), and those were dates written in pencil on the pickups. I have not taken off the neck, but now I'm all curious.

Maybe when I have time (which I have not had a lot of recently), I'll take off the necks of both of them and take pictures.

Also, everything I've ever seen or read about the Duo-Sonic II's says that they were only made for about a year. First I had heard that they were only made during 1965, but then after getting the red one and seeing the dates on the pickups, I saw that, obviously, some were made in 1964.

Here are two webpages that seem to back up what I'm saying:

Vintage Guitar Collectors

Fender MM/DS Parts List

Anything I've ever heard or read about the Duo-Sonic II's indicates that they were all made in 1964 and 1965. I've never, ever seen a 1966 Duo-Sonic II.

I'm not trying to get into any sort of argument, you seem to be older than I, and you've apparently been a Fender tech, but I've never seen any documentation that indicates that these were made in any year past 1965.

- Scott.

Found another site...actually another page of one of the sites I mentioned in my previous posting.

Seems both of us could be right.

This page: Duo-Sonic Info says that there were models made in 1964 but also shows pictures of Duo-Sonic II's made as late as 1967.

Now I'm more curious than ever to take off the necks of both of mine.
    Last edited by hi-watt357; 10-10-2004 at 08:38 AM.

- Scott.

sorry, but if that's a pix of your Duo-Sonic (can only see part of pix) the "large" headstock says it's NOT a 1964-1965 model guitar...it wasn't introduced until 1966....
    Also, keep in mind that I only have one (1) picture of the one with the pickup dated 1964, and it's the last one...the red one. It also has clay dot markers, but they're probably not very visible in that far away shot.

- Scott.

oooo-boy. Sorry chaps for starting this discussion.

It looks like it's fashionable to offload these 1064 Duo-Sonics:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...752609119&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...752712032&rd=1

In all honesty this poor "yellow" Duo Sonic deserves better, but doesn't it just confuse issues if there is anothe late 1964 one??

Or is it very easy to fake those heel stamps?!!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriyang
    oooo-boy. Sorry chaps for starting this discussion.

It looks like it's fashionable to offload these 1064 Duo-Sonics:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...752609119&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...752712032&rd=1

In all honesty this poor "yellow" Duo Sonic deserves better, but doesn't it just confuse issues if there is anothe late 1964 one??

Or is it very easy to fake those heel stamps?!!
    Weird, though...

The neck he's selling is from a Duo-Sonic II, but the body doesn't have the slider switches above the pickups. It looks modded as hell, so maybe that's a new pickguard, and the wiring got totally re-done so it only uses that toggle switch...that's mounted where the tone knob should be...

Also keep in mind that the first auction to which you posted a link was for a Duo-Sonic II...I don't think that there's any question that there were Duo-Sonic's made in '64...just the Duo-Sonic II's.

- Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-watt357
    Weird, though...

The neck he's selling is from a Duo-Sonic II, but the body doesn't have the slider switches above the pickups. It looks modded as hell, so maybe that's a new pickguard, and the wiring got totally re-done so it only uses that toggle switch...that's mounted where the tone knob should be...
    Thanks, hi-watt. Sorry - I meant Duo Sonic II.

That yellow thing's (!) auction swung my way so I shall see what I can do :) It does look modded to Hell and back, so I'll decide what EXACTLY I want to do with it when I have it on my clumsy paws. I have a hunch that to restore it would be a bigger job than to just continue with the modding.

Now it's just a matter of whether I get the neck too. Would be very cool to have it, otherwise will get a re-pro one.
    Last edited by gloriyang; 10-10-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Old Tele man