Thread: Fender Lead II

Forum Member

Fender Lead II

Just curious as to how many Fender Lead I or II guitars are left out there, and what your opinions are on them.

Thanx :rofl

Forum Member
    Thanks for the comeback. I purchased mine in 1980. It is still stock, and because we are three piece, I find it to be a very versitile guitar. It is mellow and also will scream with the right amp.

i have a freind that has one that he won and has never taken it out of the case to play it.

Forum Member
    Hey Lightening,
    What color.......I have a red with a black pickguard and maple neck. I believe they also came black and white.

Forum Member
    lead2,

I have a near twin to your's - wine red with the black pickguard but a rosewood board.

Got it for Christmas in '79, and I still have it.

John C.

Forum Member
    John,
    Didn't know they came with rosewood.
    I had a brass nut installed for a little better sustain.

Forum Member
    Of the 3 Leads, I've seen more IIs with rosewood than I have either Is or IIIs.

Glad to hear yours is still your player; mine developed a slight twist to the neck. Given its age and that it has more sentimental value than actual value, I decided to live with higher action than I have on my other guitars. I've been using it for tuning experiments and a really pitiful attempt at playing bottleneck.

John C.

it is white
    it has been a while since i have seen it

Forum Member
    John,
    Forgot all about the III's. Never had a great affection for triple upus anyway.

Lightening,
    Do you have a maple neck?

Forum Member
    lead2,

Actually the IIIs had two of the large humbuckers like in the I; I think they were only made from '81 through '83. I've only seen them in ads; never saw one in the flesh.

I do remember Elliot Easton of the Cars and Steve Morse had modded Lead "I 1/2" guitars - a Lead I with a Lead II single coil in the neck. Morse's had an extra toggle switch; don't remember about Easton's.

John C.

Forum Member

Thanx

Thank You to all for the comebacks. Mine still goes strong. New strings every gig and we're ready to go!!!!!!!

Forum Member
    Whats Not to like about a lead III?

I love my Seinna Sunburst, white guard, super light weight, Smith headstocked, Late Production Lead III.

I wish my Lps had a neck pickup this nice.

Forum Member
    I have to finish a neck for mine, I just put in 2 Dimarzio pickups in it. Neck is 9.3 and the bridge is 12.9. Should be pretty dynamic with that HEAVY body.

I jammed with a Lead III a few times. It wasn't mine, so unfortunately I had to give it back. I found it to be quite jangley. I really liked it! Kind of a Mustang-meets - Rickenbacker sound. Certainly unique. And CHEAP!

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    My first 'quality' guitar was a Lead II purchased in 1979. Mine was transparent red with a maple neck. I loved that guitar and played the hell out of it until I got my first strat in 1988. I ended up selling the lead II to a kid who was just starting out. (I wish I had kept it.)
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member
    I've got two Lead IIs (2 single coil pickups) and one Lead III (two humbuckers). Great vintage stuff for a fraction of the price. Build quality is as good as anything else made around that time (79-83), which isn't known to be a particularly great time for Fender but the Leads have matured well. Except for the ones with black finish - those crackled and flaked long ago due to some sub-standard paint experiments. But the other colours seem to have held up ok.

My buddy had a black Lead II with one humbucker at the bridge when we were kids, 1981? - It had a nice neck.

Gee, now I want to search e-bay just to look pictures.

LOOK OUT - NO BIDDERS YET AT $300.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=47069
    Last edited by studio1087; 12-16-2003 at 05:12 AM.
    Carry On!

John

Forum Member

Re: Fender Lead II

I wish Fender would resissue these things. I never got around to owning one back then. I did have a Hondo knock off of one though.

Forum Member

Re: Fender Lead II

I had a Lead III last year. Sounded okay for a heavy ash body - pretty bright and peircing - but not as bad as my 76 Strat was. Loved the neck.